Here is a good one for your religion and beliefs scholars ~ Was God's wife edited out of the Bible?

Some scholars say early versions of the Bible featured Asherah, a powerful fertility goddess who may have been God's wife.

Research by Francesca Stavrakopoulou, a senior lecturer in the department of Theology and Religion at the University of Exeter, unearthed clues to her identity, but good luck finding mention of her in the Bible. If Stavrakopoulou is right, heavy-handed male editors of the text all but removed her from the sacred book.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/03/22/fertility-goddess-asherah-was-gods-wife-edited-out-of-the-bible/#ixzz1HMpohqYC

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I fully believe it's true. I read bits from a bible from the late 1800's possible early 1900's and there were so many things in it that are not in the current Bible. One of the reasons why I stopped believe.
    Man made the Bible and man continue to change the Bible to fit man's needs or wants. The Bible is pretty much a big history book and we all know how easy it is to re-write history.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 6:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• To me it's irrelevant. I have more reason to believe in God than just simply because the Bible says so. I believe in God because I've seen evidence of Him, I believe in Jesus because I've been saved, my life has changed. If the God of the Bible is real than He perfectly capable of making sure that the Bible is accurate and has in it what He wants his people to know. If God is not real than I'm sure the Bible has changed a lot over time. But beyond that I don't believe God had a wife because God is not sexual.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 6:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Asherah was not God's wife! If He had a wife, it would have been put in the Bible. In fact, if memory serves me, Asherah was a goddess that was worshipped, and all her places and poles,and whatever else she had was systematically destroyed by the Kings, ending with David.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Its possible to edit the first portion. I mean...as a writer myself, I know how easy it is to remove what is needed. They have had plenty of time
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 6:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I don't think its true. I think God protected the Bible for us.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I believe that Jesus was married, during his time here on earth. He was our example as to how to be a good person, a good son, and he had to teach our men how to be good men and husbands and fathers(except he died before his child was born).
    Only males were allowed to read the bible back then. Women weren't even allowed to have any kind of education.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 6:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• The Body of Christ the Church is His Bride.
    Jesus was never married while on earth but He is waiting for US His bride.

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I agree with Shaneagle. (I know--big surprise there. lol)
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:28 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• We had a thread about this the other day. :)
    No, I don't believe there is more than one God, but I do understand that the way people have understood and perceived the Divine has changed and evolved over time, and believe its possible that there could have been beliefs about other Beings, which were left behind as the understanding of man outgrew them...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• (NOT that I am implying polytheism is something to "outgrow" or that I'm in any way implying that polytheists today are somehow less developed than monotheists! I meant the specific beliefs that have been left behind - that's probably the wording I should have used, rather than "outgrown", and I hope you all understand what I meant!)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2011