Will exercise make us thin?

"In general, for weight loss, exercise is pretty useless," says Eric Ravussin, chair in diabetes and metabolism at Louisiana State University and a prominent exercise researcher. Many recent studies have found that exercise isn't as important in helping people lose weight as you hear so regularly in gym advertisements or on shows like The Biggest Loser — or, for that matter, from magazines like this one.

The basic problem is that while it's true that exercise burns calories and that you must burn calories to lose weight, exercise has another effect: it can stimulate hunger. That causes us to eat more, which in turn can negate the weight-loss benefits we just accrued. Exercise, in other words, isn't necessarily helping us lose weight. It may even be making it harder.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857,00.html#ixzz1HMqFPKaw

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• You can exercise ALL you want, but if you keep eating a high calorie and high fat diet you wont loose weight or get thin. Diet AND exercise is the only way to loose weight.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• yeah, that article is BS
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• What a crock of BS. I bust my @$$ in the gym, and you can bet im watching those lbs fall off!
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• that's a big load.

I've been told my specialists that in a 5 year study done of people that were at risk for diabetes, those that exercised had the most success in preventing the disease!
    even those that exercised and didn't loose weight.

when was the last time that Eric Ravussin got reviewed? he sounds like a moron.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I agree that it's a fallacious argument. I find that on the days I work out, I tend to eat less. It does NOT stimulate my appetite; it does the opposite.
    And vbruno is right--it's a combination of a healthy diet and exercise that leads to true physical fitness.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• no , what you DONT put in your mouth and swallow will make you thin
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 10:37 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Exercise is an important element, but food really is 80% of the battle. If you're eating right, exercise won't make you more hungry. you have to fuel your workouts with quality fuel, and plan your meals, so that you're not starving when you finish a good workout. I keep a banana in the car for when I finish my runs or a protein bar in my gym bag. You should eat a balance of carbs and protein (along with some healthy fat) after any workout to replentish your glycogen stores and help with muscle repair. Without exercise, you won't firm up after losing weight, and lean tissue burns more calories than fatty tissue does.
    It only takes an extra 100 calories a day to gain an extra 10 lbs a year. Which says the same thing for weight loss. it's much easier to cut out 100 calories a day from food than it is to exercise enough to burn an extra 100 calories.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Seems like BS to me. I lost 160 pounds by exercising regularly and eating a good diet. I tried just eating healthy and my weight was very slow in coming off and I had so much flab. When I started working out the fat came off and I firmed up.
    FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 11:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Its true thats some people have a big appetite after they exercise and they take in too many calories which undoes all the exercise.
    the way to lose weight is EAT LESS. Eat smaller portions. If you exercise, that helps you lose more. But....there has to be a reduction of your daily calorie intake!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• exercising has the opposite effect on me, it makes me less hungry & that happens to a lot of people. Weight training will make you hungrier than cardio.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2011