Why do doctors tell you to go to the hospital if you have so many contractions in an hour?

My doctor asked a question (was I having contraction) I told him yes. So he's like if you have so many in an hour go to the hospital... Blah blah blah. So I told him that if I did have so many in an hour that I'm not going to the hospital. He got mad and we started arguing. (yes I said arguing) he's saying that I'm neglecting my unborn child and that if he had to he'd call children services, I told him do what he had to do that I wasn't gonna change my mind. I left the doctors office and that was that. My argument is I'm 36 weeks and have been contracting since I was 30. I was hospitalized at 30 weeks 32 weeks and 34 weeks and I refuse to go back until my due date. Yes I'm at risk for pre-term labor but the way my contractions feel have not changed since I was 30 weeks if they do I'll go in. The hospital at 36 weeks will just monitor me. And there is nothing wing with me other than contractions, more than regular every hour. Mind you he checked me today I'm still hard and have not dilated at all. What do you think? What would you do?

prissysayshi

Asked by prissysayshi at 5:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My thoughts I understand where you are coming from because you will know when you are progressing and your contractions are coming closer together. But also someone who has had a child that came too early and ended up being in the hospital for more then 2 1/2 months. Your doctor is concerned for you as well as your unborn child because their could be a chance that you delivery too early and their could be problems as far as breathing and other concerns with your child. This is what I had dealt with my son he wasn't breathing and had heart problems as well as getting an infection after being born. Their could be other things that doctor is just concerned about. I would went in to be monitor they may of given you meds to stop your contractions. But you know your body best. Good luck with everything.
    buterflies01010

Answer by buterflies01010 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I guess you could just stay home and have your baby in your kitchen floor LOL
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 5:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I wouldn't have argued with him. I would have said okay, and then done what I thought was best.

At 36 weeks if I was not dilating, I would just wait it out and see if anything comes of it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:56 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My thought is that he really meant, if the labor progresses, therefor your contractions are coming faster, then go to the hospital. I think they have a generic idea of when it's progressed to a point that it's time to head that way.

I dont think there was any need to argue with him. Just do what you feel is best. Hopefully, if your plan was to have the baby in the hospital, you get there in time.

AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 6:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I just knew someone was going to come on here and be an unnecessary smart ass! @Minnesotaince I never said that I was smarter than my doctor nor did I ASSume I was. Arguing with him doesn't make me anything it's letting him know that he doesn't get to talk to me anyway that he wants. Don't yell at me cause yes you're my doctor but I'm not your child so talk to me accordingly.

Ladies I never said that I wouldn't go in and seek help. I'm saying my contractions have been the same since I was 30 weeks I clearly stated that if they felt worse or I felt worse I'd go in. But if I go to the hospital every time I have contractions I'd be making eighty trips a day because I have contractions about 7 to 10 minutes apart and sometimes 5 to 6 minutes apart. I thought it was uncalled for, for him to tell me he'd call children services because I won't go to the hospital. This is not my first pregnancy and I'm scheduled for a c-section.
    prissysayshi

Comment by prissysayshi (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• What I fail to understand is, if you are not going to listen to your doctor, then why are you even seeing one?? He doesn't want you in preterm labor. He doesn't want your baby in NICU. So what if you just go in and get monitored?? Some babies do not tolerate labor well. Your doctor is just doing the job he was trained for and gets paid to do. Trying to do what is best for both you and your baby. If you are not going to let him do his job, stop seeing him.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Since when do you assume you know more than your Doctor? And,if you are arguing with him, you must be a piece of work!!! just think about your baby's safety and stop thinking about what you want to do!! Good grief---no wonder he got mad. I am mad ! your poor baby!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2011