is it ok to take pepto bismal when your 5 months pregnant?

kcn107

Asked by kcn107 at 9:22 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Health

• Not at all during pregnancy, take tums and I would also call your OB to get a list of what is OK.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:25 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• It's a class C drug, which means that it should only be taken during pregnancy if you are doing so under the care and advice of your doctor.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:26 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• What do you need to take it for? Do you have stomach issues or heartburn? If you have tummy problems I'd recommend Tums, or Mylanta (my OB told me either one was totally fine), and if you have heartburn, you can go ahead and take Zantac (or the generic equivalent). I had horrid heartburn with all my pregnancies and with the first one I suffered with just Tums, which didn't even touch it, because my doctor told me I couldn't take anything else. Then I switched doctors for my subsequent pregnancies because I wanted an OB closer to me, and he told me I had been suffering needlessly because Zantac is perfectly safe to take. I took it during all my other pregnancies and they all turned out perfectly healthy and I had no problems during pregnancy.
    bkbecca

Answer by bkbecca at 5:37 PM on Nov. 26, 2008