Kids and energy drinks

Does it bother you when you see kids under the age of say... 12 drinking energy drinks? When I take my kids to the bowling alley for their league every Wednesday and Saturday, I am amazed at how many unattended kids are there walking around with big-ass energy drinks clutched in their hands. Some even drink more than one within the 2 hours we are there.

Do you allow your children to drink them? Do they drink they behind your back? What do you think is the appropriate age to consume them?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 6:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Yes it bugs me allot. Its been ALL over the news about kids DYING from drinking them kids being hospitalized from drinking them, hell even adults are overdosing on them. The bars market alcohol drinks made with them. What part of "this is a dangerous "drink" dont parents understand?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• for awhile hey would actually ask for an i.d. to make sure that you were 16 or older to buy one
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 6:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• When I worked at a travel stop in ohio it was 18 and over
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• No, they are extremely bad for you. Did you know there's only one chemical off of ADHD medication has that energy drinks don't? My hub just learned that in nursing school!
    Anonymous

• i wouldn't allow my kids to drink one. there is NO reason for kids to need them. you get a job and work 12-14 hours a day and then we can talk! USE DON'T ABUSE!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 6:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• vbruno, I didn't know kids were dying from them... that's just horrible!
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 6:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• NO WAY! Mine wont be alowed them until maybe 16!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I wont lie i have drunk them but i wouldent say everyday or alot i drink it rarley and I dont think its for kids its just bad!
    Pam4242

Answer by Pam4242 at 7:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• i drank at least 2 or 3 everyday, my friends did and still do also, i stopped 5 months before i got pregnant because it started making my heart skip or gave me panic attacks, i still miss drinking them though....energy drinks are like drugs.....you CAN (and people do) get seriously addicted to them, like i was buying 2 or 3 rockstars and monsters everyday for 3 years, i HAD to get at least one or i wouldn't be able to function in class

they are bad for you you can get kidney stones and people do die from them like vbruno said, the reason they die is because the energy drinks make the heart beat so fast that if you even start walking faster(speeding up your heart more) it'll make your heart skip like how mine did but i caught it after 3 years so nothing happened to me thankfully
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 7:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• It bothers me when I see anyone drinking them, but at least an adult is making an (allegedly) informed choice. A kid in one of my classes was telling his friends how he overdosed on them and ended up in the emergency room a few years ago. They nearly killed him, and he still thinks it's a joke at 20 something. No way a 10 or 12 year old is drinking them knowing what they're doing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2011