Wedding guest etiquette?

A friend I have known for a long time invitied me to her wedding. Only my name was on the envelope, even though she knows my boyfriend -- they are casual acquaintances I guess, we all went to high school together, she knows who he is, but doesn't "know" him. It also had an RSVP card. The RSVP card says: "___ will be attending." Sooo is it ok for me to bring my boyfriend as my date? I've never been to a wedding besides that for family members (how sad is that lol) so I don't know what to do! Can I put 2 are attending, and bring the boyfriend, or do I assume that since she just addressed it to me, only I can come? I think I'd feel weird without a date, but I don't want to bring him if she doesn't want extra people there.... thanks ladies!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• I would call her and ask.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:04 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• call and ask but put 2 on the rsvp just incase.. worse comes to worse take your Mom who also knew her growing up.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 6:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• If you don't call and ask, you'll never know...but I wouldn't put anyone down except yourself because that's all it was addressed to. Whether you RSVP yourself or not, they still probably have a maximum amount of people they can either invite to the facility or they are going to fork out the money for dinner for....so I would just put yourself.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 6:07 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• i would call and ask her
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 6:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I don't have her number so I can't just call. :( Kinda seems stupid to write a letter back and be like "hey can I bring Andy?" lol

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Check the inside envelop (if there was one) and double check that it only has your name on it. Lots of times the outside envelop has one name but the inside one might have "and guest" or something like that. Strictly speaking only you are invited and it is not proper etiquette to add someone else.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• If there is a blank I would assume she is asking how many you will be bring with you. Put a 2 in the blank and send it on it's way, I am sure if it is a problem she will let you know. Honestly though I don't think it will be.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Jeez people. NO no no, if it only has your name, only you go. If it says you & a guest, or you + one, then put 2 - but if it was addressed to you and you only, you only RSVP 1, and you go alone. It's not that hard to google wedding etiquette.
    Anonymous

• Ok thanks ladies. I dont know if she even knows I am dating someone. Should I expect to be sat with a bunch of single people then? Lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:26 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• it's not appropriate to ask if you can bring someone, if only your name was on the invitation, then only you are invited.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2011