Your input-

We have a voucher program winding its way through the approval process- I have "some" input into what it will look like (well, maybe who knows what they will do with our opinion pieces)- all of the private schools in our jurisdiction are Christian- they have an opt out clause where students do not have to take religious classes- I am wondering if this goes far enough- should the clause read they can not take religious classes at all (not comparative religion-but religion class) because of public funds being used or is the simple opt out enough protection- what do you think and why?
I put it here because of the cross section of opinions rather than P&CE

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 6:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Even if they opt out what would you think about a Nun or priest or pastor teaching your kid and using God references IN class? That wouldnt be opting out if they were still getting influenced by teachers "of the cloth" would it?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I think the opt out is enough. My person feeling is that it is ridiculous for people to send their kids to a Christian or Catholic school and expect that they will not hear a word about religion. That puts an undue burden on the school and I think it infringes on their free exercise of their own religion. That would be like saying that people could use vouchers to go to Greek school, but they'd better not hear a word of Greek language when their tuition is being paid by tax dollars.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:48 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• One thing I forgot to mention before - I was getting childcare assistance while I was in nursing school, and the program paid for my son to be cared for in a child care located in a Catholic school. The program also paid for my daughter to have before and after school care at the same school .

OP, you asked if it would be different if it was a Muslim school. If I chose to put my kids in at Muslim school, I would expect that they would be exposed to Muslim culture and religion. I do appreciate your concern with being fair and using tax dollars appropriately. I think the opt-out option is enough.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I'm not really familiar with the whole voucher thing... Does the parent request the voucher? Because if the gov't is giving the "money" to the parent to use as s/he sees fit, then its not quite the same IMO, as handing the money directly to the school, if you kwim. If parents have the choice whether to use it, where to use it, whether to have their child opt out, etc, I don't see it as the gov't giving the money to the schools. If it *is* going through the schools and not the parents, I guess I would still say that its the parent's decision to sent their child to whatever school they choose, and if they don't approve of the private school (which would still be a private school, even with the voucher program, and therefore free to do as it pleases), or aren't happy enough with the opt out option, they just shouldn't sent their child there. I don't think the vouchers change that much, other than providing $ for opportunities...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:28 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I do think, though, that one of the differences, IMO, is that the vouchers give parents the choice to do as they please. Its not like they're giving them out and saying you "have" to use it for "this specific school" where religion "will" be taught, kwim? Yes, all the schools in the district are religious, but I don't think that should be a factor, since its not like the system is intentionally "only" offering vouchers for the religious schools, its just that there are none, if that makes sense. If there were secular private schools and they were somehow excluded, or if they revoked the option to attend the public school, I could see it then, but since its not promoting religious education in place of or over a secular one, I don't the the gov'ts doing anything wrong.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• IMO a Christian school should have Christian based classes & on some level the child should be required to take them.
    For others it gives way to over-stepping boundaries! and taking control away from the Christian perspective of the school (hope that makes since)...
    Others of different faith will start to take over & suddenly it will no longer be a Christian school.. Or those non-christians attending the school will start complaining of faith-based talk in other classes..

(i guess its almost like someone not wanting to take certain science classes in PS because it does not hold true to their religion..)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• OP, it doesn't bother me, but it might be helpful to hear from more people who are not affiliated with any religion.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I think if it's a Christian school then there shouldn't be any option.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:22 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Vbruno- I assume that people that take advantage of the voucher are OK with that- what I am trying to figure out is what is fair and just when using public funds- is it OK to fund religious classes with public money- ? hmmm....... trying to be rational and look at all sides-
    soyousay

Comment by soyousay (original poster) at 6:22 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• but those opportunities are ones that the parents choose, right?

I mean, I'm not articulating well - the gov't is offering parents the chance to send their children to whatever schools are in the district, is that it? So it shouldn't effect the schools themselves or their policies, it just allows the parents an opportunity to pursue an option they may not have had before, if you get what I mean...

That is, if I"m understanding the voucher system at all LOL
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2011