How early is too early for rice cereal?

My LO is 3 1/2 mons. Last week, I found out that while I was out my husband gave her a bottle of breastmilk I'd pumped and put a little bit of rice cereal in it. I was so mad at him, because the doc said nothing but milk until 4 months. My husband shrugged it off like it's not a big deal, I guess because he has 2 kids already (my stepdaughters) and did this with them before they were 4 months. Am I crazy for wanting to be careful with my baby and actually listen to the doctor??? She's not acting like she's still hungry or never full. She sleeps through the night and always has, without rice cereal! I just don't see the need to give her anything other than milk.
Also my mom said rice cereal is never supposed to go in a bottle. She said it's supposed to be in a bowl and fed with a spoon. Is this true?

Rileysmom25

Asked by Rileysmom25 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's recommended that cereal is started between 4-6 months and when baby is showing signs that they are ready for it (showing an interest in food, able to support their own head). It shouldn't go in the bottle.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 6:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• my son had rice cereal at 3 months. he only had it once a day though, if not every day
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• both my kids started cereal at about 3 months... they were just plain HUNGRY!! And the world didn't come to a screeching halt or anything.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I always recommend nothing other then breast milk or formula until at least 6 mos. Cereal is never NECESSARY though. Remind him that solids are meant to be fed via spoon, or self fed, never drank. Get the cereal out of the house, out of sight, out of mind, kwim? If baby is not showing any reactions, I would not worry, because you can't change what has happened, but you CAN make sure it doesn't happen again.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:58 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Nothing but breast milk or formula for the first 6 months.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• my son had rice cereal; at 3 months. He loved it and was on to baby food soon after. I think its all a matter of the child. If intrest is shown in the food then go for it. my child is healthy and happy!
    meghanconwell

Answer by meghanconwell at 7:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• i started cereal at 3 months, but i didnt do it everyday
    Jgreg

Answer by Jgreg at 7:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• i gave ds some at this age and he was fine and no bashing i did start him off with a lil in his bottle but only a small amount
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 9:07 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I would say 3 or so mouths. Babies can handle more then you would think! Both my boys were a round there maybe a little before, just a little in there bottle!
    lovelife29

Answer by lovelife29 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Wish I could breast but can have Hyperthyroidism so can. Not all mom's can but it can be miked with breast milk too!
    lovelife29

Answer by lovelife29 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2011