I'm starting to think he likes time out. O.o

My son who is two has gone to time out for the same thing three times tonight! It is everyone's TV time and he keeps shutting the TV off and I tell him to turn it back on before I count to 3. He just sits there and grins at me. 1...2...3 and off to timeout he goes for two minutes. He screams and makes a ruccus but stays on his matt in the hallway for the full two minutes and when I go to tell him again why he is in time out, he giggles at me and then I tell him to say sorry and he gives me a hug and kiss (can't talk well yet so that's how he says sorry) and he'll snuggle up with my husband and I and then, five minutes later, he gets up and does it again! Is this just part of the terrible twos that time out doesn't faze him anymore? Is there anything else I can do to get my point across?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• lol! this kid sounds just like me! when I would get punished I did everything known to man to make it hard on my mom, or make the punishment fun. I was also known for 'do it again and you can't do this or that activity' I'd just figure out something more fun to do.

sounds like you have a clever kid that will be hard to punish.

good luck!
    Anonymous

• first of all, counting just tells them they don't have to do anything until you get to that last number. after 2 time outs, that's where i'd just pop them on their hand (whichever hand he's using to turn off the tv) and tell him in a firm voice " i SAID no". worked for my kids. they stopped pressing those stupid buttons and never did it again.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• MY daughter of 1 year we have bird so she goes and messes with them once she opened the top of the cage and my bird was flying around free i put her in her play thing asa time out but she ends up throwing herself back and crying and throughing a fit its just bad! but after a while she becomes quit and starts playing around there
    Pam4242

Answer by Pam4242 at 7:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Sounds like he doesn't like it if he is screaming when you do it. Stay consistent and I would stop the counting. Just warn him there will be a time out. Then no talking, no anger, just matter of fact put him in time out. Stay consistent. It may take awhile for him to stop. Make sure he gets one on one time with you and DH so he gets positive attention at times too. Sometimes they go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I always stop counting after the first time because after that he knows better. And we always give him one on one time. I think he's acting out because he wants to play outside but it's been raining for the last three days and our back yard is all mucky and it's too cold for him. :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• he's doing it for attention.. its best to find ashow he can interact with that interests him or get out some toys and play with him on the living room floor while watching tv.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• take a minute to read him a book or sit him on your lap while you watch tv. it sounds to me like he just wants some attention. i get way too distracted by tv sometimes (and computer.. i'm getting yelled at right now)
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 8:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I think he likes hearing you count to 3; I too hate this stage where they try and test their limits
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Oh he just has mom and dad wrapped around his little finger because he probably so cute when he does that cuddling thing. But try making his time outs a little more than two minutes. but i really just think he thinks its play time in stead of it being a naughty spot.

BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2011