How long does it take for you to get the kids ready for bed and in bed? Curious because it SERIOUSLY takes my son an hour and he is 8yrs old!!

I have to constantly tell him to hurry up. If I'm not on him constantly he'll take 20 minutes to poop (seriously), 10 minutes to brush his teeth, and 20 minutes to shower. All with me yelling at him to hurry up because he is playing around and goofing off. I am torn on whether to start relaxing and letting him take his time or just to keep rushing him. I'm so frazzled because I"m CONSTANTLY telling him to hurry up that I HATE bedtime. What does bedtime consist of for you? I"m making him start getting ready for bed at 7pm now....am I doing something wrong or am I just impatient?

worriedmommy600

Asked by worriedmommy600 at 7:07 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• just make him start getting ready for bed earlier than normal, so you know he's in bed on time.

as for us, it takes about 10-15 minutes, on no bath nights. my kids are 2 and just turned 4 the other day. on no bath nights, it's potty, teeth, put on jammies, say prayers, sometimes a book, then we tuck them in.

on bath nights, it depends on how tired they are. my son has gone on this thing where he believes the baths are like demon possessed or something cuz he freaks when it's bath time. so i have to throw him in the tub, along with his sister, and as she plays, i scrub him down real fast, get him out within 5 minutes, then do the rest. so that's 20 minutes. for dd, sometimes she wants to play in the tub, so i let her for about 15 minutes, scrub her down then do the rest. that's about 30 minutes give or take, depending on if she wants to play or not. if not, then it's 5 minutes in and out the tub.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Yea, I'm gonna see if having him get ready for bed at 7pm works better. It's just a pain to stay on him all the time. The long showers bother me the most because of all the water he wastes and if he took a bath he'd never come out. I think my son is just one of those kids who is a pain at bedtime.lol.
    worriedmommy600

Comment by worriedmommy600 (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I would set a timer for the shower and he has to stop then or I would go in and turn off the water. Explain to him that no water can be wasted. Otherwise I would start to relax and tell him to call me when he is finished so I could read him some books before lights out. You can even set the timer for that and say you can read if he is ready for bed by the time the timer goes off. Take all the yelling out of it and you'll both be happier. It should be a calm, stress free, time of day.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I would set a timer. For my kids, if they are late getting in bed then they have to go to bed that many minutes earlier the next night.

Answer by missanc at 8:24 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• takes my boys forever to get in bed like their bedtime is 9 but i am seriouly thinking about starting making them go to bed at
    7 because they wont stay in bed i can hear them a hr or so in their room talking and geting back up
    mama2305

Answer by mama2305 at 12:31 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I have a bedtime routine for my kids. We start an hour before bed. My kids have to be be in bed NLT 7 30 so we start after dinner. At about 6 30 and works just fine. GL
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2011