Have you ever rehomed a pet?

Baby4us09

Asked by Baby4us09 at 7:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Pets

• Once... One of my dogs kept attacking our other dog. She was a lab mix, the other dog was an American Bulldog, and a dog that had been used in dog fights before we got him, so she basically got her ass kicked ever time, but she never stopped. We knew there was no way we could find a new home for the other dog (plus, he wasn't doing anything wrong), so we found a new place for our Lab mix with a friend who lived out in the country with lots of space, and where she would be an only dog.... We still kept in touch, so we knew she was having a grand ole time with him. Still broke my heart, though.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• we took a dog to the human socity after she had puppies, we were taking care of her for my brother and he ended up not wanting her and I just couldnt afford to keep her.
    Ambear72

Answer by Ambear72 at 7:37 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I don't dump my animals....
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:49 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• In my family pets are family. They stay until they "pass" or need help.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 1:13 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Yes. When I worked for the SPCA I rehomed thousands of pets for the organization. And if I get thumbs down for finding homes for animals I didn't abandon then you're just unrealistic. I couldn't exactly take them all home, now could I? I also rehomed my aunts cats when she passed from colon cancer.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• yes
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 7:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Yes, we rehomed our chi when he started biting children.
    I have also rescued lots of strays and found them forever homes.
    I also sent a cat to live at my mom's farm when he refused to use the litter box.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:39 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• In 1999 we moved from TX to OH to be closer to my ailing dad and at the time we had 6 dogs. We knew we'd have to live with my dad for a month or two and then we'd be in an apartment environment or a rental home without land so we had to find all 6 homes. It was very hard to do because we'd had them for 5-7 years but there was no choice. We found homes for them with friends and people who we knew through friends and kept them together in 3 pairs so that thery weren't too traumatized.
    Anonymous

• Yes:..only bc I had to. I had to regime my cocker spaniel who I had adopted 7 months before...such a sweet dog..he had been abused and the first time he wagged his "stub" was at my dd..she was in love with him..I thought I had found a good family for him to go to, but found him on craigslist 3 months later..:I had a gut feeling that it would happen and checked it religiously after I had already let him go (they seemed like a very nice couple and were looking for a blonde cocker spaniel..which was what bogey was)..ad sure enough...I don't know what happened to him after that,,.that was about 3 months ago..and all bc the stupid owners of the house we're renting wouldn't accept pets...dh already said we'd take the house and had started the process..I still feel so horrible about it..and miss that dog dearly.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 8:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• We had to once. We had two cats when DD was born, one was my oldest baby and one was a nearly year old stray we took in while I was pregnant. Well, one night I was BFing DD and we both dozed off. I felt DD move and opened my eyes and the cat was trying to lay down on her (the stray we took in). I literally threw that cat through the house and DH gave her to a guy at work the next day. She was a really playful, loving cat, and I don't think she really understood that she couldn't lay on the baby (she liked to cuddle with me and DH). I was afraid she would do it again or scratch DD, so we gave her away just to be safe.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2011