• In the Spotlight:

Need some advice for my 2 yr old son..

Okay...I need some advice. My son just cries a lot..and when he gets frustrated, he screams at the top of his lungs! He is not talking completely..he says about 10-15 words, but I can tell that the "talking' is a barrier..and it frustrates him b/c he cant tell us something. This stage is just so frustrating for us.. it is so bad, that we cant go out to dinner..or any public functions.. due to his moods. If he cant be running around...he will scream, and make everyone else miserable! I cannot wait to get him out of this stage...I know there will be something else after this.. but I feel so alone..like we're the only parents going through this horrible stage! We have a 5 yr old daughter and she was never like this. Also, I want to mention..that he is not like this for our babysitter...so, I feel like it's just us for some reason. Thanks for listening!

LoveMyKids0203

Asked by LoveMyKids0203 at 7:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It will pass. Make sure you have consistent expectations of him. We had a period where we could not go out with our youngest. It lasted about 5 months. We did take out once in awhile for a treat during that time and we had a trusted baby sitter we could leave him with.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• It is just a stage . . . . and it is sometimes VERY pronounced when they have these involved thoughts and feelings, but can't express them verbally yet. He also sees his big sis being able to do things so well, and talking up a storm, so that can be frustrating for a little guy. I think my kids are around the same age as yours, and my son expresses himself much like yours. For now, we are declining all "restaurant" invitations, and we try not to take the kids to functions where people will be bothered by his "terrible twos". Yours and mine will grow out of it . . . but for now . . . . I am loving long, hot showers. :)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• do you have my sons twin ? lol; yes i have a 2 year old boy just like this
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 7:58 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• You are not alone. We rarely go out to eat because our almost 2yo makes dining out not so enjoyable. She just has so much energy, so if we do dine out we let her run and play pretty hard before hand and I make sure she is hungry. I also bring stickers and books to try and entertain her.
    FLmomma2be

Answer by FLmomma2be at 8:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• if you know what he's upset or mad about, get down at his level and tell him "i know you're mad/upset because..." then explain to him why you said no, or can't do whatever it is. this way he knows that you do understand him.

as for the tantrums, ignore them. put him in his room, where nobody is watching or acknowledging the tantrum and it will pass pretty quickly. tantrums are for an audience, and if there's no audience, there's no use. at first it may last a bit long, cuz he'll think you'll come back in if he stays screaming, but eventually he'll learn you're not interested in it. if you have to wait to talk to him until after the tantrum, that's fine. every time after you talk to him, remind him that instead of screaming, he needs to use big boy words and tell mommy/daddy what's wrong.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Army Wife gave you great tips. Sometimes it helps to show a kid a sign for his emotion since he can't say it. Like you can say to him "You are so mad!!!" and scrunch your face up or even growl a little. The face scrunch and growl are things he can imitate to show his frustration, even though he can't say to you that he is feeling angry. Or reading books about emotions sometimes can help, too. I know the Critter series has a book called I Was So Mad that my dd loves to read. Emotionally I think boys are so much different than girls so it probably makes your daughter look like a piece of cake at this point, but like you said it will pass and get better. Just hang in there until that day comes. Best of luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Thanks Ladies for all the advice! It makes it a little better knowing Im not alone out here! :)
    LoveMyKids0203

Comment by LoveMyKids0203 (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• If you think that his inability to express himself verbally is causing frustration you might want to get a book on simple sign language. There are lots of basic books, usually even at the library. It was amazing to me how fast my son learned some simple signs like "more" and how much better he felt that he could express things. This is a stage and eventually he will start picking up words at racer speed and then hopefully for you he isn't like my guy who hasn't shut up since.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• You are not the only one going through this. Just last night we went out to eat dinner and my one year old cut up as usual. He is not talking yet either and he is almost 2 but it can be very annoying sometimes. you know how the kids menu comes with colors and a coloring sheet. Well he wanted to color on the table. That made him angry when he couldnt. He wanted to walk around, That made him angry when he coldnt. but if made me more angry when he wouldnt listen but what could you do right. They know when they do wrong. Because as son as we let the restaurant he went to sleep in the car i guess to avoid the trouble he was going to be in. Now i dont do spankings but i do have a punish chair at home that he was going to get in as soon as we got home. But he was sleep and that was good enough for me.

BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2011