How do I sell a car seat?

I have a car seat that is in excellent condition, but no longer need. None of the consignment shops will buy it. How do I go about selling it?

MChildressDem

Asked by MChildressDem at 7:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Money & Work

• you could try ebay but mother are advised not to buy 2nd hand car seats
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 8:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I gave mine away on freecycle. People really are advised to not buy them used though.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• craigslist
    babysavy9

Answer by babysavy9 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Why don't you donate it to a battered womans shelter? I can't think of a better way to pass it on and pay it forward!
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 8:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• if you sell it on craigslist you have to deal with all the crackpots - I used to use it but I stopped on this last move due to overwhelming scams, fake phone calls etc. For what you would make on a used car seat TRUST ME - it will NOT be worth your aggravation.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 8:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Donate it to the local police station. They are always asking for donated seats around here. Police officers use them in domestic cases.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I bought one at a garage sale for $10 so we could have an extra. It was nice and practically new, but I probably would not have spent more than that. I agree with donating it...you could write it off your taxes for at least as much as you would get for it in a yard sale.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• you can give it away..some local churches and daycare centers will take donations for mothers that can't afford them..other than that, it's not recommended to buy a used seat. Try craigslist also.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:28 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• most places will not buy used carseats. i agree with the others, donate it to a family in need.
    redrose36

Answer by redrose36 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• It is illegal in most states for the shops to sell used car seats so that is why they won't take it. It is also recommended that you DO NOT buy a used car seat for one reason. Any donation place that gives you a receipt for your taxes will also NOT take a used car seat. Unless you know the person well there is NO way to know whether that seat was in an accident and even a small fender bender can compromise a car seats safety. That being said you could try craigslist as some people are desperate enough to buy used.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2011