Cash assistance Question

Ok I am far from someone who doesn't want to work. But I am 33 weeks pregnant and had to move to Ohio recently. We lost everything and have no job. Since I am almost due I do not want to work. What if they make me do a job I know I cannot do? I get dizzy if I stand too long. And after the baby is born I want to stay home to BF for at least 3 months. I have a feeling their not going to allow me to do that while satisfying the terms of the cash assistance. I understand its a program to help us get back on our feet. And helping DH get a job is wonderful and just what we need. But I need to be a mother right now. I so do not want to leave my newborn with a stranger in a different state than I'm use to. I know NO ONE here. And I will not leave my child in huge daycares where they don't get personal attention.

I guess my question is, if you've been on this how did they treat you regarding job/pregnancy? I know if I'm on my feet too long I'll start getting dizzy and having contractions again. I am not technically on rest because I never brought it to my docs attention. But I'm afraid I'll pass out if they have me on my feet all day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Money & Work

• i live in ohio, and they cannot make u do a job that u can't do. it's against the law. as the the dizziness, u need to bring it up to ur dr. but i should warn you, that job and family services will sanction u for not working. they did me when i was pregnant with my 2 yr old and i was on cash assistance. also u need to tell your case worker why u can't work and see what they can do.
    redrose36

Answer by redrose36 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I have yet to have a doctor here. I filed for medical assistance to. But I will mention the dizziness when I find a doctor and have medical assistance. I have worked since I was 15 yrs old with only one exception of 6 months in 07 after a layoff. I went back to work only a month after DD was born and I feel our relationship suffered for that. This is our last baby, I want that bonding time. Not to mention I couldn't BF DD because when I returned to work I was a printer, and working with chemicals potentially capable of getting into my supply. So I used formula. I want our son to be BF. I want that special time.

I feel like if I can't get a desk job where I'm not on my feet all day then I'm going to go into preterm labor. Because I get so tired very easily. If I'm on my feet a long time I start getting BH contractions and shooting pains. DOC did know that and told me drink water and lay down. They went away so no worries.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• If they sanction me for not working doesn't that mean no cash assistance? We do need it or I'd never file for it. We have no income whatsoever. DH needs a job asap. I was so hoping to stay home for a bit.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• If they sanction you, they just deduct an amount from what you are already recieving. I used to get 234 and now I only get 175
    Anonymous

• here in Michigan you get 12 weeks after a baby is born before you have to report to Work First, the agency that you are required to report to if you want cash assistance and are unemployed.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• In Wisconsin, you have to be looking for work for 40 hours a week or going to classes to help you prepare and find a job. After the birth of your child, you will get 12 weeks off and then you either find work or you lose the cash assistance. Wisconsin does not mess around either. If you are sanctioned you can lose ALL benefits for 6 months to life, depending on what you did or didn't do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I worked full time, and breast fed until my daughter self-weaned at 23 months.

Public assistance is for those who NEED it, not those who want it.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• If I didn't need it I wouldn't be applying for it. I'm not some nit wit looking to use the system. I've supported myself since I was 15. The last thing I want is the gov. telling me what I have to do to survive.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:32 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• In OH only one of you has to be working 20 hours a week to qualify for assistance. OH is one of the best states to live in if you have to be on public assistance.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:39 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Ty Xander I didn't know that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2011