Rescue Parents or Not?

My parents are not the best with money, which is why I had to learn the hard way. Moved back in to help me and them, met my now husband, moved him in for the same reasons, got married then got pregnant. Mom & Dad lost their jobs but weren't doing anything to help themselves. Now we had to stick around to bail out parents instead of getting own home, bad move. I had prego problems, hubby was supporting 9 people with child support. Parents lost apt, 8 mnths prego and homeless.
All of us are now in own apts. Mom has lost job again. Brother still not working. Dad working too much and possibly self-sabotaging again. We refuse to let them move in with us ever again...money and other reasons, but it's my family. If they lose their apt. do I let them stay for a while with us to avoid family being homeless or do I cry about it for a while when I refuse because I need to support my husband?

DRCMAC

Asked by DRCMAC at 9:42 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Relationships

• They sound kind of like my in-laws, whom we no longer help either. At some point you have to realize family or not that they just don't have it together and if you let them they WILL take them down with you.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:47 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• You have your own family to worry about and what you say is they are doing this to themselves and if you keep helping them they will never help themselves because they have you to fall back on.

Anonymous

• section 8 housing goes by their income.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:33 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Find the name and address for the local homeless shelter or Y that will take them in. Do what you have to in order to keep your hubby and kids safe and happy. The parents will never be responsible for themselves if someone is always there to bail them out.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:13 AM on Nov. 26, 2008