Lyme disease

My husband just found out he had lyme disease.

The dr gave him antibiotics to take twice a day for 10 days. But I have read that it takes 14-30 days to treat!! Do u think his dosage will treat it? (His bullseye spots have lredy went away after taking it 3 times.

And will he hve this for the rest of his life?
Is it deadly?
I'm so worried about my husband ):

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Health

• It is serious and takes a long time to get rid of. I know there are lots of side effects from this disease. I would Google it for sure.

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• If he is just at the bullseye stage, it is VERY easily treated. The problem comes when someone gets it, but doesn't know, and has it for years before they figure out what has given them such chronic pain. That has to be treated with longer doses.

You guys are really lucky that you caught it right away!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Do u think since his spots have gone away that his medicine is going to work?
    Nd thanks for your answers!!
    Also I have googled it millions of times lol!! I just read different things and it doesn't answer my questions!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• So, from what I understand . . . . if your husband had a visible Bulls-eye, which happens only in the beginning, he was in an early, acute stage. That is easily treated with a normal course of antibiotics. If his exposure was long ago, he would be in a "chronic" stage, and, for that, he would need a 30, 60, or 90 day treatment.
    Now, it appears that occasionally, some people develop chronic symptoms after what would seem like effective early antibiotic therapy. So, then he would need a longer dose. He should always report unexplained pain or neurological symptoms to the doctor and explain that he has been treated for acute Lymes . . . and the date of his treatment. His chances of full recovery are excellent, being that he caught it right away.
    It might help for he or you to call the doctor or nurse who is treating him . . . they can explain about his treatment and maybe ease some of your fears.
    Good Luck Mama!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• BTW, I have a little nephew who was treated with a quick course of antibiotics during the bullseye stage, and he made a full recovery, and is going great! For him, it was just that rash and some meds . . . gone. I also have a friend with Lymes. She had been chronically ill for a very long time . . .more than a decade, and noone knew what was happening. Her bloodwork finally showed that she had been exposed to Lymes . . . probably more than a decade ago . . . she had an extended course of antibiotics, and will probably never fully recover. Chronic Lymes is a whole 'nother boat, so please be deeply grateful that your husband was able to get it right away . . . before it becomes a problem.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2011