What are some handy tips you've learned or found for taking care of kids that might be helpful to other moms?

I've learned that you can get candle wax out of carpet and other things by putting newspaper over it and ironing it out

I've learned that peanut butter will take some types of paint out of carpet

I've learned that you can put a warm rag with oxy clean on it, into the dryer and run it if ink explodes to remove the ink from the inside of the dryer

I've learned that oxy clean or baking soda can take the crayon off the inside walls of the tub and tub surround

What about you?

OurHeartsAwait

Asked by OurHeartsAwait at 8:49 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Have fun and enjoy your babies. Learn to play again. *smile*
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 8:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• That dawn is great for presoaking anything with oil, food, and grass on it.

Pick your battles sometimes it is better to just let things go.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• If you play the same music for your baby everynight, they will go to bed with no fight forever when that music comes on. My kids are 6 and 8. I can turn that music on when they are running around like crazy, and they get sleepy and go to bed.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Be tolerant of all people. Everyone has a personal battle.

Be patient. It's easier said than done, but can be done!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Thank you so much for asking this question! I was one of the first to have children in my group of friends, and I'm always DYING to give advice.... But I never do because I don't want to be that person who bothers new moms with my own advice. I don't have any amazing tricks, except that Spot Shot carpet cleaner gets anything out of anything! Even stains on clothing, and it doesn't leave water marks on microsuede furniture. But if a new mom asked me what I'd do differently, I'd say, get a crib that can fit crib rail protectors (our convertable crib is ruined from teething, and crib rail protectors didn't fit our bed, so its ruined), get the smallest and lightest of baby items (it really sucks having to lug all that bulky stuff through an airport), and be sure to record everything because those kiddos change SO FAST!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 8:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I have learned that baby wipes make excellent facial cleansing cloths and make-up removers.
    And
    Johnson's baby soap makes an excellent, hypoallergenic feminine wash.
    And
    Lansinoh can work work wonders on dry, cracked skin on feet, hands, and lips.
    And
    Olive Oil is excellent to get off cradle cap.
    ANd
    Vaseline on the bum can make a baby's constipation alot easier to pass.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I have also learned that if you put a dill pickle on a burn, it takes the sting out almost instantly
    OurHeartsAwait

Comment by OurHeartsAwait (original poster) at 9:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• That all the worries about sugar, dirt, homework, etc is nothing in the grand scheme of things. It is your relationship with your children. Were you loving? Open? that is what makes the difference in the end.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:03 AM on Mar. 23, 2011