When should I stop giving them a sippy cup at night?

My boys are going to be 2 in May, I let them take a "ba ba" to bed but Id like to get them off. What are some of the ways you weened your lil ones?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd stop as soon as you can, letting them take milk to bed can cause tooth decay. Switch it to water
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• What about getting them something special to take to bed with them...like a character pillow or stuffed animal and tell them before its bed time that they get something very special instead of the sippy cup. Make a big deal over the "new item" and if they mention the cup say briefly and sweetly that no cups in bed because now you have this (new item) to take to bed.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:04 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• are you filling it with milk still? if so i would fill it with water. i let my 27 month old go to bed with a sippy cup of water every night. i see absolutely no harm in it, it was how i got her to transition to a toddler bed at 21 months and she just stuck with the habit. i will probably have issues when its time for potty-training, but i figure ill cross that bridge when i come to it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Obviously you don't want to leave any child unattended, but my son still brings a sippy cup with water to bed and I put it on the night stand with water. Now that he is almost three he understands that he can only have a few sips or he is going to have to wake up more to use the bathroom and he doesn't ask for it every night. Heck, I still have water next to my bed.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 1:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• my oldest decided he wanted to stop himself when his baby sister came home from the hospital - he was 21 months !! now my youngest is 2 and i have been trying to stop the cup at bed for awhile.. lately i would give him one when he falls asleep...an when he wakes up asking for him i will talk him out of it lol... some nights it works others not.. i am having a hard time with this one!!!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 8:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• also i heard doing everything cold turkey works best.. but just dealing with the screaming makes me sad !!
    3HappylKidds

• we just moved into a new house and so the comfort thing is whats making it so hard for me to just DO IT
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• From the beginning, milk always woke up my fat little boy. He'd get so excited that it was time to eat that it woke him up, so bottles at nap time never happened haha. My advice would be to maybe gradually give less and less milk at bedtime so by the time you're ready to take them away it's no big deal to them. There might still be some upset because the comfort the bottle brings, but it will go away. They don't NEED it and you're only doing what's best for them which is what parents are there for. :]
    ours

Answer by ours at 8:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I have switched it to water, and anon calm the #*%& down!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:51 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Any docter will tell you to try to refrain from giving them a cup at bed at all(Not becouse its a choking hazard through). Most parents do give them a bottle before the cup anyways. I'm still tring with mine too. It is not easy. Good luck. Mines 17 months, not on a bottle but still gets a sippy cup in bed. WORKING ON IT!
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2011