Birthday Parties

My friend has an 8 year old son and she is planning a birthday party for him. She wanted to just take him and one friend, her, his dad, and little brother to the park and do a small party there. I'm not sure how the teacher found out, or what happened. But the teacher ended up calling her and telling her if she invited one child to the party she had to invite the WHOLE CLASS!! She's really upset because she doesn't have the money for that kind of party. I think it's really dumb. What business is it of the schools who she invites? I told her to just call the kids mom and invite him that way. It just doesn't seem right to me. Has anyone ever heard of this? I get that they don't want anyone's feelings to get hurt and what not, but come on. There has to be a line somewhere!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• the rule at my DS's school is if invites are distributed at school the whole class needs to be invited, but if invites are sent to a child's home then it is none of the school's business who they invite!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• The teacher can't tell her who to invite. If she doesn't want the whole class, there is no reason she has to invite them all.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:03 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• what i be calling the head teacher asking why a teacher was saying that
    a teacher can not tell you what you can and can not to or how big a party to have
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 9:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I'd tell that teacher to go shit in a hat!! I can see not passing out a boat load of invites and leaving a few kids out, but this is one kid. That teacher can't dictate who the child spends time with out side of school. I'd call the principal and tell he/she that the teacher is trying to bully her into a whole class party when she is just planing a play-date with one child!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• peanutsmommy has it right on the nose! that's how it is at my daughter's school, too.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 9:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• my kids school would not say anything exspect not to hand invites out in class lol the say do it after school or at break time
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 9:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2011