15 mo old talking

My 15 mo old dd has recently started daycare and her provider has mentioned to me several times about how she's not talking like she thinks she should be. DD says about 15 words/phrases. If I give her a cookie or something she will say thank you. But most of her talking is still walking around going "daddy daddy daddy daddy daddy" I think she just doesn't want to talk. Because she will be sitting playing with her toys and I will her very very quietly talking, I have no idea what she is saying, but it sounds like she is saying words. And she does a lot of stuff to just be silly. Like she will say "daddy" and my mom will say "Say ma-maw" and dd will just laugh and laugh and keep saying "daddy". She picks up words really fast too. The other night she was pooping and I said "are you making a poopy?" and she started walking around going "pooooooooo". Like I said, I just think she doesn't want to talk yet. but should I say something to her doctor about it? I'm not sure waht is normal at her age. Her provider also said something about her not playing with the other kids, but I didn't think babies this age really played with other kids? She's new to being around other kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sounds like your provider is worrying you for no reason. First of all, 15 month olds don't engage in play, they do what is called "parallel play", they play next to another child, but they don't really play interactively at this age. I used to do developmental screenings for a living and it sounds like she has an appropriate level of language. If you are concerned check out asq.uoregon.edu and do an Ages and Stages Developmental screening to ease your mind
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• How old are the other kids this child care worker watches? I wouldn't be concerned. All children develop at a different pace. As far as asking your doctor, I know each visit we go to, it marks a chart to see what they are or are not doing. If there were concerns, my doctor would've addressed me. Doesn't hurt to ask but I'm sure they'll say she's doing just fine.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• She sounds fine - I wouldn't worry.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 9:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• If she just started daycare it will take her a while to play like the ones that have been there forever. My DD didn't start blabbering until her brother was born at 25 months. Then she talked in full paragraphs. She will mature and learn a lot in daycare. As a former daycare employee, I hope it is a good learning experince for her.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• she sounds fine to me. at 18 months, they should be saying 20 words and beginning to form 2 word phrases. so if at 15 months she's already up to 15, she's doing great. you could address it with her pediatrician though to ease your concerns.

as far as playing with other kids, they don't really do anything at this age but stare at eachother and steal toys from one another. and if she doesn't have siblings she might be shy to new kids.

my youngest is 14 months and has a 2 and 4 year old sister. she plays with them all day long and has a huge vocab, but she has the two of them to mirror. her vocab is definitely farther advanced than my older daughters were at 14 months. and her social skills too!

i think your LO is right on track!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Don't worry, all kids are diffrent, sounds like an average 15mo. old.
    emmasmama2007

Answer by emmasmama2007 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• She sounds like she's doing great! She's learning lots of words and figuring out that she can choose when to talk and when not to. Really, no need to worry!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:22 PM on Mar. 22, 2011