How can I find my son a friend?

So my son is going to be turning 4 and he wants a Ninja Turtle Party... I feel bad because he has no friends yet...all his cousins are either too much older then him or just little babies, not even a yr old yet...so he can't really interact with em much lol....I had him draw me a picture of how he wants his party to be and he drew in a little boy with him who he said is his friend. I want to have a little boy his age there, to celebrate with him as his friend, like he drew...but I just can't seem to make a friend with a good mama who has a kid his age, either. What should I do? Do you think he'd be sad if he had no kids there except his 2 baby cousins?? I so badly want to find him a friend to grow up with but we're just not having any luck :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• are you involved in any mom's groups?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My kids are homeschooled so to keep them interacting with other kids their age we've found play groups on www.meetup.com. We also go to church regularly, so they have friends there too. They're also in sports through the YMCA. Soon they'll be able to join scouts.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 9:28 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• are you a christian, but don't go to church? maybe find a church and become a member, he can make friends in sunday school. or maybe, if finances allow it, put him in a preschool 2 or 3 days a week. some have Tuesdays and Thursdays, some have Monday/Wed/ Fri. or find a playgroup in your area, just search on here for moms in your area, or even groups for your area, and have a playdate once a week or so. so far i've moved to two places, and in each, i've always found at least one playdate group here on CM.

it may be risky, but you could also try to go to a medium sized park, where there aren't alot of people but not too little, and if you aren't too shy and see a parent with a child the same age, strike up a conversation. i do it all the time! start out with "aww how cute! how old is s/he? really? mine to! -cont-
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Preschool, playgroups... We didn't start having parties until my kids were in Kindergarten so we had some kids to invite ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• then, if the parent seems to be the talkative type, i just keep the conversation going, maybe i'll ask a question, like if i'm having a problem, for instance, right now my son just turned 4 on Wed, and THAT DAY the little devil started lying. Maybe i'd say something like " you know, my son has been lying since the day he turned 4." (i'd do it in a laughing/freestyle way, not a very worried and concerned mother) IF the mother is the talkative type, then she'd answer with a "you know, mine started that up to" or a "hmm, we've never had that problem before". if i get the first response, i'd ask how she was handling it, so i could get ideas. if i got the second response, i'd say something like "really? well aren't you lucky! (laughing/freestyle again), i'm just trying to figure out what to do about it".

again, if the parent is talkative, they'll start throwing out ideas for you. there's the conversation! continued
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• if we were there long enough, maybe i'd say something like "we should meet up again" (of course only if i felt comfortable with this person) and offer her my phone number. never ask for theirs, you'll look like a creep lol. offer yours, and if they're interested, they'll offer theirs.

i've done this a couple of times, back when we were stationed in Ky, it also helped out when the people were new and didn't know the post very well, i'd be able to give them the roundabouts of the place :)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Church is a good place to meet people with children his age. Also you might look into signing him up for T ball or another sport. My son made some of his best friends while playing sports and yes they start them as young as age 3 for baseball.
    berryhappy1971

Answer by berryhappy1971 at 10:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• If not church perhaps a story group at the library, a preschool a few days a week, a sports team, swim classes. If you lived in NH I would bring my son over, perhaps someone in your family has a co-worker with a child, someone you went to school with who lives nearby? See if there is a Mom's group nearby you can join...

He will enjoy his party either way, but sounds like he could use a way to develop relationships and social skills and he is reaching out to you to let you know that.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2011