Any one know the laws for renting a basement

ya so i live on the 2nd floor of a house that we will be moving from soon. well there was supposed to be a lady moving into our unit. then today she has been in the basement. well the landlord lives on the first floor and they had said they wouldnt rent the basement. however now she they lady has been down there banging since 3pm its now 835 and she is still banging. im pissed off because my kids are 4 and 2, and they are sleeping. im interested in knowing if any moms from illinois now the laws regarding basements. can u legally rent it to someone with only one entrance and exit.

knagsmom

Asked by knagsmom at 9:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I know the rental laws for Illinois. I was born and raised there. If the basement does NOT have 2 doors into or out of the basement, it CAN NOT be rented out to ANYONE. You can call the building inspector of your county and report them. Its a fire hazard thing. So you can also call the fire safety inspector as well.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I don't think so. I would call city hall.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• call your local town hall and ask which department give the certificate of occupancy once all permitted work is done in a house/apartment... that's the office you need to talk to!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• BTW? one of the doors CAN NOT be to the rest of house. They have to have OUTSIDE doors, and 2 of them to boot.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• In MN it's not considered a rental if there isn't a separate entrance. I've actually seen people stop renovating their basements in the middle of constructing that basement apartment for this reason. If they are renting downstairs and the only entrance is into your home, thats a room mate situation, not rental. THat's not safe to have someone you don't know having access to your living area. Violating as well.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I would think your first step is filing a complaint with the local fire department and County Building Inspector.

You could check if building permits were done to make the apartment and find out if it's formal or informal.

You might also look up the tax assessment office and speak with them to see if the property is being assessed for it's dual use.

The thing to look for on the tax record is the assessed square feet/enclosed area. For instance if the house is 1200 feet of finished space upstairs and 1200 feet finished downstairs, the tax record would say 2400 square feet. If it says 1200, the tax man doesn't know the basement is finished and the owner isn't paying taxes on it.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 9:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• we have a villige offce that i can call but i was wondering if i should. this landlord and her son have just caused me so much stress and now this too
    knagsmom

Comment by knagsmom (original poster) at 9:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• thank u crafty and vbruno im going to call them tomorrow because the women has 2 kids and i wouldnt want anything to happen to the kids.
    knagsmom

Comment by knagsmom (original poster) at 9:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Good luck hun!!! ;o)
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• thanks. ya there is a side door to the house that my family goes in and also the landlord and her son goes in this way instead of the front door. we also have a spril staircase in the back that is a main door for our unit. so once u go in the side door u can either go up to the first floor where there is a door for them or up more stairs for a door for our unit. once in the side door u can go down some stairs to the basement door. we used to be able to go to the basement for the landray but 3 weeks ago the landlords son locked me out of it.
    knagsmom

Comment by knagsmom (original poster) at 9:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2011