Texas Leaf Cut Ants...HELP!

Any solutions (perferably organic) to get them to move outta the yard. They are stripping all our trees!!! The amount of damage they do it crazy. Dang things ate all my broccolli, cabbage etc from my winter garden. Now they are back with avengence and I want them GONE!

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 9:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Home & Garden

• No, they're definately ants. But you know Texas as well as I do! If it's a strange, exotic bug, it's gonna be here in Texas! HAHA! We probably have some sort of carpenter ant, but I wish I had some advice for your leafcutters. Maybe ant bait?
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I know! I didn't have a care in the world until I had DD. I found myself mixing up a home remedy to get rid of mosquitoes last year. It was flat beer, mouthwash, and something else I can't recall. Didn't work. But I tried! ;-D

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 1:07 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Call a local nursery and see what they suggest. Google it too. GL
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:47 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• The HATE vinegar! buy a gallon or 2, it's pretty cheap. POUR it on their mounds and repeat as needed. They may only move a few feet, but they will move and keep moving till they are out of your yard with no poison's or chemicals.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I did the google. Nothing of any use was to be found. Now having said that I haven't thought of calling my local nursery. Our Ag Extention office has not responded to my emails or phone calls. I'm liking the vinegar idea. I have a few gallons of it for moping....I'll give that a try tomorrow. Thanks. I'd rather deal with fire ants than these boogers.
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I feel you texasgurl! I live in Dallas, and I've been scouring the internet over the last few days trying to figure out what kind of ants are getting under our siding. They never enter the interior of the house, but I see lines of them trailing up and down our siding. We've secured every crack or opening that we see them heading for, but they just change their trail to another part of the exterior. They look like raspberry crazy ants, but act like carpenter ants. I don't get it. Most of the sites I've seen say to find the mother nest but that there are most likely several satelite nests if you see winged ants. Come to think of it, I do have a tree that seems to be losing a significant amount of leaves lately... Do you know if leafcutters have striped abdomens and look for rotting wood?
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Kenzie, I don't think they are striped, but I sure can go look. You will see the trails of ants carrying leaves if they are cut ants. It is the craziest thing I've ever seen. I'm out west of San Antonio. I lived in Dallas for years and never experienced what you are describing. Rotting wood?? They have wings? You sure it ain't termites? Someone the other day told me to boil hot water and pour it on the mound. EEEK. Sounds really cruel (But I'm almost willing to go there). The only problem is hot water won't hit the queen and will only kill the ants it comes in contact with.
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 11:04 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• ROTFL! So freaking true Kenzie. I might just have to quote you on that. Ant bait will probably be my resort. I remember years ago I found some that was non toxic to humans and fish even. Wish I could recall the name. So freakey now that I have a little one about spraying stuff.
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• skeeters....lemongrass oil and unscented lotion. I swear by it. Give it a try this year. I just had my first bite today. I need to mix some up soon.
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 2:17 AM on Mar. 23, 2011