At what age did you start leaving your child/children home alone?

I know this has been asked before, but I have 9 and 10 year old girls soon to be 10 and 10. If, I say "if" because my mom is here most of the time but she is helping my sister who just had a baby and she is affraid my children are going to make her baby sick (they are not sick). So "if" I were to leave them home it would be for maybe an hour to an hour and a half with my mom 2 miles up the road. This is not my plan, but should the situation arise I wanted some feedback. Thanks

luvmygrlz

Asked by luvmygrlz at 9:49 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Call your police station and ask what they recommend. In my city the recommended age is 12 but it also depeneds on the maturity of the child, how they handle an emergency,etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• 10 is too young to be left alone for any length of time

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:50 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Each state has different laws regarding this issue. I would call you local police/division of child protection to make sure you're not breaking any laws. I personally would not leave a 10 year-old alone. They are not mature enough to react in an emergency situation.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My oldest DD is turning 12 this summer and i still will not leave her home alone,, I at this time don't feel comfortable with it.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 9:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• It much depends on the child. I'm happy enough to leave a 10 year old with an older sibling, without adult supervision. Even a 7 year old. But if the oldest one is 10, that's definitely a difficult call. You're their Mom, do you think they are mature enough? Sensible in an emergency?
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• In the state of Texas the legal age to leave a child home alone is 15. I know this is much older than most people start doing it but it can become an issue if you end up going through a divorce or custody battle.
    berryhappy1971

Answer by berryhappy1971 at 10:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Thanks I got enough feedback. Not planning on leaving them home alone anytime soon. Just wanted to see what everone else thought.
    luvmygrlz

Comment by luvmygrlz (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• After 5 yrs of age for an hour or so under the supervision of a governess...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 9:53 PM on Mar. 22, 2011