Carseat legislation

So, out of curiousity, I heard some stuff about car seats lately (I'm in Japan, where they don't even USE carseats, but we do use ours)...Is it a new law, or just a new recommendation, that children are rearfacing til 2 and in a booster til 13?

(I already know it's safer and all the benefits of doing it, just curious if it's a law or recommendation, since no one I know knows for sure. lol)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• so far as i understand its a recomendation. next thing you know we well have our kids in a booster til they are out of highschool. why dont we think about lowering the speed limits and makeing a car safer or installing seatbelts that are adjustable. come on im sorry this is just getting ridiculous. yes kids should be in the back seat but in a booster until 7th grade?! really?
    Anonymous

• It's recomendation from the american association of pediatrics, It's not a law, and I believe boosters till 12.
    emmasmama2007

Answer by emmasmama2007 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• It's just recomendation. I think they meant for children up to 12, who do not fit properly in a seat w/ a seat belt. Like petite kids. No one is forcing anyone to do anything.
    emmasmama2007

Answer by emmasmama2007 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• It is a RECOMMENDATION from the AAP and NOT law. Booster seats until the child is 4'9" tall. Backseat for kids under 13.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• The only thing that has changed from AAp is that children should be rear facing until age 2. The rest of the garbage floating around has not changed in the 7 1/2 years my son has been alive. It is recommended that children use a booster seat until they are 4'9" AND/OR 80 pounds AND/OR 8 years old (I don't remember which). Children 12 and under should NOT ride in the front seat UNLESS you have an airbag you can turn off/on or don't have a front passenger airbag.

There are places in Europe that want kids rear facing until age 4.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2011