What do you do if you know your dog is dying? adult content

My sister took my mom's dog when my mom passed away earlier this year. The dog is really old (a Labrador) and is dying. She won't eat or use the restroom and her breath smells like a dead animal (she hasn't been outside). This is the same thing that happened to my cat a long time ago before I had to have him put down for kidney failure. She doesn't have money to have her put down, so I want to call all my other siblings to see if we can put our money together for her, but I don't know if she's going to last until tomorrow. What can I do to comfort my sister (this is a big deal for her since it was my mom's dog and since mom passed away last June). And what can we do to make the dog comfortable until we can get her to the vet tomorrow?

Kword

Asked by Kword at 10:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Pets

• Aw. I'm so sorry. Losing your mom and the dog is tough. I would just keep her dog all comfortable, in a blanket laying where he usually likes to sleep. Maybe you can lay next to the dog......and pet him. Just give him the same treatment as a human being....I'm sorry. :(
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 10:07 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• just give the dog a warm blanket and offer water. dogs like to be comforted so maybe even lay with her and pet her and talk to her. sorry that she is dying i dont know what i will do when my lab gets old and dies it will be a very sad day for us.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• give it alot of love thats what the dog wants
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 10:07 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• A labrador would probably cost about $40 to euthanize and about $80 to $100 to dispose of at my vets office.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:58 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I'm so sorry :-( It is so difficult to lose a pet. As others have said, just try to give the dog plenty of love.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 2:00 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• so sorry...I would have quality time with her and say my goodbyes and make her feel comfortable and let her know it's ok to go. I did that with one of my cats
    joanie70

Answer by joanie70 at 6:27 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• vbruno,

That is one of the most heartless things I've read on here. To take a dog to a shelter and let it die alone without it's family members. On top of this, they may try to save the dog seeing as she will say she found it. If they somehow find out it's her dog and she lied she will be charged the boarding fees to keep the dog, the costs of trying to make it well and the cost of feeding it. Lying, especially when you're a parent is disgusting.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:16 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Awww...I lost my poor sweet lab mix last November. I can't even tell you how much that broke my heart to see him in such pain. We inevitably brought him to the ASPCA where they charged less and were very compassionate about our situation. He was an elderly dog and he was part of the family. I know the prices that I called around and got for area vets were astronomical because we're having financial difficulties. To have to put down your pet is awful enough and not being able to put them out of their misery is even more so. Lots of love and attention is what the pet needs right now and a little prayer for your sister who will most likely grieve pretty hard.
    Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I'd call a local vet or the humane society or any animal rescue centers. There has GOT to be some way they'll pay for it. As for your sister, make sure she knows you're trying to figure something out and it's the dog's time.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I would call a vet and ask if there is a OTC pai reliever you can give the dog.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2011