What's going on with my dog?

I got home from a field trip today amd Scooby seemed fine. Around 7 pm he made noises that made dh think he was gonna be sick. We put him outside. I looked at him (Scooby) and he hadn't moved off the porch. I let him back in and he wouldn't move. I checked his hips which seemed to be the problem. One was slightly swollen. I called him. He whimpered and his hind legs fell. Quite worrying.. I don't know what happened. He is a jack russel mix. any help is great. thank you.

Autumn07

Asked by Autumn07 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Pets

• How old is he? That could be a sign of bone cancer, arthritis, lupus etc. Get him to a vet ASAP. it may be too late at this point, but still needs to go in.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:24 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• my husband said that jack russel are known to have bad hips and hip problems
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 10:24 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• hyperextended his leg. Sometimes my JRT overworks himself. maybe try icing it and heat. I hope he feels better. Won't hur to take him to the vet.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 10:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Could he have torn his ACL?? That sound similar to how my dog acted when she tore hers. A trip to the vet is probably a good idea.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 8:47 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• glad to know that it wasnt serious.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I'd be worried about hip dysplasia and I would take him in for Xrays. I'm glad he is doing better though and I hope that isn't the cause...hopefully he just pulled a muscle or something.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1569&aid=444
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• thank you for your answers.. He is walking again today. Kind of sore though.
    Autumn07

Comment by Autumn07 (original poster) at 8:51 AM on Mar. 23, 2011