What do you look for in a daycare? (first time mom here)

Since I'm a first time mom I wanted to know what other mothers look for in a daycare. I don't want to look over anything especially since there is now way I can not work. I'm due Sept. 4th and we need to pick one quick.

manders2184

Asked by manders2184 at 10:55 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well, here in NY state we have a website that has all of the violations of each licensed day car in the state (and preschools). I would start there if you have the same thing in your state and go from there.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:57 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• You'll know. Kind of like when looking for a wedding dress, your gut really comes in to play. Go with your instinct. Thnk about what is important to you. For me it was schedule flexibility, cost, teachers and facility. I would have to say the facility was the top criteria. We wanted a newer place with lots of room. One we looked at was old with furniture from someone's home from the 70's, I said no thanks.

Good luck!
    Luvnlife4

Answer by Luvnlife4 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Are they licensed?
    How many children and what ages do they watch?
    Is the facility child proofed?
    Is it clean?
    Then these are more personal choices, but you want them to follow your choices:
    Do they feed on a schedule or on demand?
    Do babies nap on a schedule or as needed?
    How much time do they spend actually interacting with your baby?

ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:04 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I was an early childhood teacher, and there were several things that I would tell my friends to look for when they went searching for a daycare.
    - If they will only let you come in by appointment, scratch them off your list. No matter what the excuse (having to make sure they are available, or they have coverage at the front desk, etc.), nothing is excusable. You should be able to stop in at any time.
    - Know the adult to child ratio. Then, when you visit the day care do NOT just take their word for it. While you are visiting the day care and the baby room, count the number of names on the wall, count the number of cribs in the room, cubbies with babies names on them. If they do not match the child to staff ratio they claim they uphold, scratch them off your list.
    - Ask them if they share cribs if some babies are only there part time.
    - How do they sanitize the toys, the high chairs, the cribs.
    catsmom1993

Answer by catsmom1993 at 11:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Cont.from previous post
    - What type of certification does the staff have? Are they all icensed to be ALONE with the children per the state requirements?
    - Do all of the staff members hold CPR and First Aid cards?

I hope this helps you! Good luck.
    catsmom1993

Answer by catsmom1993 at 11:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• There is a web site you can look into. It's called care.com they do background checks and you can look for people in your area
    joanie70

Answer by joanie70 at 6:22 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• find your local child care resource and referral agency (www.childcareaware.org) they can provide you with a referral listing and answer any questions you may have about licensing in your state since it varies greatly from state to state.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:41 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• How many kids they have.
    How many providers. Forget what they law says they can still be overwhelmed with the reccomended amount of kids per teachers. Do they have fun. Meals? What are they. Do they have cameras? What is the rotation there? Is it clean and friendly staff? what are the hours there?
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 12:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• First you have to check out if they're legit, check references, check their license, etc. Then get to know the place, ask questions. How long they've been doing it, how many kids they watch, who they have helping them, what the kids do all day, what they eat, where/when they nap, how often they're fed/diaper changed etc. Then get to know THEM. I asked my son's day care provider how many kids she personally had, why she wanted to do day care, etc. It's not being nosey, it's making sure the person responsible for my child knows what they're doing and is doing it for the right reasons!! Make sure you get a good vibe. If you're not comfortable there, your kid probably won't be. Don't be afraid or feel guilty for turning someone down or meeting with lots of different providers. Find what fits for you and your child.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2011