Those HPV shots

Anyone get them yet?? I'm 22 and have been thinking about getting those HPV shots. I was just wondering if anyone has had good experiences or bad??

Trishy7

Asked by Trishy7 at 11:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Health

• I have heard that it doesn't totally work. It's like a 20% chance less that you won't get HPV. I really think these pharmecutical companies feed off of our fears of catching something or dying.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I've had them. My arm was sore for a few hours after I got the shot, but other than that, it was fine and I haven't suffered anything from it.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 11:22 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I am 28 and I got mine when I was about 22. I have had no side effect or anything ecept for soreness at the injection site for a day or two after the injections.
    tgeary

Answer by tgeary at 11:28 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• there are over 70 strands of HPV. the vaccination only protects against 4 strands. i don't believe enough research was done on the vaccination before it was released to the public. it was only researched for 8 years. no one knows the real long term effects of it
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• HECK NO! I will never get it and neither will my daughter as long as I'm making medical decisions for her.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:48 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I got them done when I was 17. I had no problems with it, although the 3rd shot hurt more than the others. I have heard though that if you have been sexually active for a long time, its a waste to get the shot because you've likely already got HPV...since some 80-90% of women have it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• hpv has over 150 different types.. the shot prevents about four different types.. one shot prevents 16 and 18 of hpv (cancer causing) while the other prevents 2 different types oh hpv that cause genital warts. they are the more common hpvs in those groups, but no it does not prevent protection against all types of cancer or genital warts. I believe there are at least 11 cancer causing types of hpv and at least 10 genital warts causing hpv.

BUT hpv isn'y just an std.. other more common forms include any all types of warts from planters to just common warts, which the shots obviously don't protect against.

THAT said.. 80% of people have a form of hpv
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:47 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• i got both shots, didnt get the 3rd cuz i ended up getting pregnant , i will be getting the 3rd after the baby....i didnt have any problems with it other than a very sore arm.
    PrettyBaby24

Answer by PrettyBaby24 at 7:18 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• No. My daughter's pediatrician has been pushing it for her since she was 9 and there is no way in hell that she will ever get it.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:23 AM on Mar. 23, 2011