Lasik for my 2year old

Ok so my son is two and his eye sight is getting worst his at -13 and I was wanting to know if anyone children eye Dr waiting to have lasik surgery or not

enaNianza

Asked by enaNianza at 11:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would be concerned with what is causing his eyes to deteriorate so quickly and at such a young age
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• Well he was a 24 seeker and he had a eye surgery when he was in the nicu so he got glasses at 6months old but I have tried and tried to get him to wear his glasses but he won't
    enaNianza

Comment by enaNianza (original poster) at 11:40 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• if they perform the surgery at that age and you can afford it then i don't see the problem. it's not a risky procedure and he'll have 20/20 vision for life
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• First, try making wearing his glasses fun. Make a chart where he gets a sticker for everyday that he wears his glasses. Then at the end of the week he gets a special treat. I can understand a two year old not wanting to wear glasses. For fun I try to put sunglasses on my two and one year old and they won't have anything to do with it. It can be very challenging I imgaine to try to get them to wear them everyday. So just try to make it out to be a fun idea. That might encourage him to wear them.

I would be terrified to allow my child to have lasik, especially at a young age.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:43 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• My understanding is that lasik is for people whose eyes have stopped changing. I have heard of teenagers getting it when they're declared legally blind-- 20/400 I believe. I have a friend who got it when he was 15.

I don't know what you mean by his vision being -13, but if his eye doctor thinks this is the best course of action for your son, and you have hesitation, perhaps you should get a second opinion.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:45 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• As far as I know, they won't perform lasik on a child because their eyes are still growing and changing and the procedure could end up being for nothing down the road. What does his eye doctor think of all this?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:32 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I see him in two days I understand he most likly need it again later down the road I just want to see if it will slow down how bad his eye sight is getting
    enaNianza

Comment by enaNianza (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Mar. 23, 2011