Stupid vaccuum cleaner Question about filters

For those of you who have the bagless vaccuums, my question is how do you clean off the round filter inside the dirt cannister when you dump it out? I detach mine from the plastic cylinder and then beat it against the trashcan outside, and all the dust and cat hair flies around everywhere, and I make such a loud noise outside that I'm afraid my neighbors will yell at me for being too loud. Do you guys rinse it out with a garden hose everytime and then just let it air out? I really hate those filters! I really like bags because there's less mess, but those suckers fill up fast and are expensive! Help, please!

flowrchild77

Asked by flowrchild77 at 11:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2011 in Home & Garden

• If your filter looks like it has pleats in it, I will tell you what I do. With one hand I hold it over the trash can, and with the other hand, use a butter knife, a screwdriver, or a straw, something small that won't damage your filter in the process. Go in between each pleat with the item that you are using, gently (don't use too much force), and scrape it out. Continue to do the same thing to each pleat and go around. I do this with mine and it helps. I don't have pets, but I do this at least once a month. I hope this helps.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:06 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• When we had a vacuum like that I bought one I could wash off in the hose.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:55 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I just tap it against the garbage can inside and then put it back when most of the stuff is off. It's better if the garbage can is almost empty so I can do it way at the bottom.
    Mine says to just do that until most of the dust is off and that it will be discolored.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:06 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I have a Dyson pet, so Im positive that it i wa different I hve 4 filters that I hand wash every 3 mothes!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Yes, it is a cylinder shaped filter with pleats all the way around. It's just such a pain!
    flowrchild77

Comment by flowrchild77 (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2011