Epidural?

Should I get an epidural? I am really scared to have a need in my back, even though I have no problem with needles anywhere else. I am afraid of how bad it will hurt, and Im also afraid of the pains and effects of it after it all wears off and everything, but I know I won't be able to handle the labor pain. Im not due for another 14 weeks, but I would love some input so I can decide on what to do and so I can check this off of my mental stress lists so I can stop worrying about it. Please help?

lizjones

Asked by lizjones at 12:05 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• it doesn't hurt and the needle - well don't look at it it's behind you so just relax. You'll have it put in while you're in labor so, just breath and try to stay still .. then before you know it it's done. I personally don't like the after affects moreso than the procedure. Good luck!
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 12:08 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I never wanted an epidural at all but I had no choice since I wound up with a c section and let me tell you, the mere thought of a needle going into my spine scared the crap out of me BUT it is not bad at all!! They have you sit and and push your back out and honestly you really do not feel it, they put it in at a really good angle to where it is hardly painful at all, not to mention it kicks in so fast you don't even remember it is there. If you want it go for it, it is not bad at all!! Good luck!
    xMs.Shannax

Answer by xMs.Shannax at 12:08 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• No, you don't nee the epidural.
    You can choose natural pain-coping alternatives to avoid unnecessary risks.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:08 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I felt the same way but when you are in that much pain (contractions), you are so ready for any size needle to bring you relief! It is a personal choice and i am not fond of needles but when the pain didn't let up it was just worth it to me! So you may make a decision before labor and it may change and trust me you are no less of a woman for it! lol
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 12:09 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Have 3 c-sections and in all of them I got the the Epidural, it kind scarey,but u won't feel a thing. It is better than the laber day pain
    lelly1019

Answer by lelly1019 at 12:09 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Trust me I was in the same position as you. I was kinda sketchy about a needle being put in my back too. But trust me however your pain tolerance is you'll most likely want the epidural. The whole time the tube is in your back you don't feel a thing. Stop stressing over the epidural and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 12:10 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• you can have other pain meds instead of a epidural, i personally had an epidural and i did feel it but it wasnt "painful"..trust me, after having the contractions, getting the epidural done is nothing! i didnt have any after effects, i dont have any back problems..you can always try regular pain meds to take the edge off the contractions, and if you still cant do it, you can get the epidural..GL and congrats!
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 12:14 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I went into labor in the neutral zone. I was not planning on getting an epidural, but I also wasn't against having one either. I was just going to take it contraction by contration and see where things went from there. Well I did end up getting one and boy was I glad I did! I swear to you I did not feel a single thing when they did the epidural. Now just because I didn't, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't either, but you are so worried about your contractions and stuff, that it takes your mind off the actual procedure. I was comfortable and laughing with everyone in the room within 5 minutes. I have no negative effects from it at all and my son was born perfectly healthy. I do think it have a negative effect on my pushing ability though because I was still numb, but you can always ask for it to be turned off if you want to avoid that potential problem.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• You need to talk to your Doc/midwife about this... you are going to get TONS of heated opinions here!!

Personally I LOVED my two Epi's, didn't have any complications, kids are fine, didn't feel the needle at all, could feel the contractions but it made them not painful. Before the epi I couldn't even communicate with anyone b/c of the pain, I didn't have control of the situation, I couldn't speak... once the Epi kicked in I was able to actually participate in the experience..

Everyone is different, every labor is different... you have to decide what is best for you...with the help of a medical professional!! Not a bunch of opinionated women on the Internet ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:42 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• It's not that bad I had spinal and its not bad at all
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 12:55 AM on Mar. 23, 2011