• In the Spotlight:

Family traditions

I want to start some family traditions but need some ideas. HELP!!

ilovexzavier

Asked by ilovexzavier at 10:31 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Entertainment

• My extended family has so many traditions for Christmas it is so great. I love being there with them but I know that it is not always going to be possible to get together with them. Anyway, I was thinking of starting some family traditions for my own kids... so I thought of maybe baking and decorating cookies, baking a birthday cake for Jesus (if you are celebrating Christmas), depending on your kids age you could bake a certain dish, or meal every year. If you are celebrating Christmas you can make a big deal about the nativity scene (for instance don't bring baby Jesus out till Christmas day. When my kids were smaller we would buy tinsel and only put it on the night before christmas, they would wake up to the whole house sparkling. Make reindeer food (glitter and oatmeal or something similar) and go sprinkle it outside your house on Christmas eve.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 10:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• We are Christians so all of our family (holiday) traditions are based around our beliefs. Some of the things we do: on Thanksgiving we go around the circle and share what we are thankful for. On Christmas, we read the story of Jesus' birth and make a "Happy Birthday" Jesus cake (to remind us what is really important about Christmas)!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 10:51 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• One of our traditions when putting up our Christmas tree, is each child gets a new "special" ornament every year. They get to pick whatever they want. Me & Emma (my 3 yr old) have made Rice Krispie treats together last year for Thanksgiving & Christmas, and she has so much fun doing it, that is 1 thing that we will be doing every year, and Mady will be old enough to help soon.

When I was younger, my mom was a single mom, so it was just me and her on holidays. We always did Thanksgiving dinner, and put up our tree and decorations, but then that night, we always went to see a movie. We did the same thing Christmas after we opened gifts. It was a wierd tradition, but something I will never forget. I might not be able to remember what gifts I got for a certain Christmas, but I can sure tell you what movie we went to see!
    dawnmarie2012

Answer by dawnmarie2012 at 8:46 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• We have a couple traditions. I don't think my hubby has brought any to the table but mine are all from my family when I was growing up.

1) The kids get to open ONE present on Christmas Eve and it's always new jammies.

Ok, maybe we only have one tradition.....I can't think of anything else right now.

Another fun one my parents did was get a plastic tablecloth that they used every year during the holiday season. Every year we would trace our hands on it and every year every visitor that came in the house had to sign their name with a sharpie. It was awesome....it lasted about 10 years and it was fun each year to look back and see who'd signed our tablecloth.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:24 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• We always got a new ornament on the night we put up our tree. It was always something to do with what we were into at the time...when we moved away my mom gave us those that were ours from over the years so we would have something to decorate our own tree with...I have continued this with my children
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2008