Don't mean to be rude...

Ever notice that when people start a sentence with the words "Don't mean to be rude" or "No offense, but" that they are rude anyway? Seriously it is less rude to say what you mean without prefacing it at all with "No offense".
Do you find it ruder when people preface their statement with those things or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in About CafeMom

• Yes I have.  Although sometimes I get what the poster is saying.  Sometimes I'll say something and it really is in fact not mean't to be rude but the only way I can find the wording sounds rude so I say it in hopes that people get what I mean.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:50 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Yeah it's usually followed by something very offensive or rude. Like beginning a sentence with "no offense" means you can say whatever you want...
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 12:53 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Like it's ok to talk about someone and then say "Bless their little heart", it makes it all better. LOL I catch myself doing that. Hey, I ain't perfect.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:56 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• No offense - always.

Don't mean to be rude - depends on the context. If it's something personal, usually it's worse. Sometimes, though, it comes up when it's someone trying to ask about something they really know nothing about - it happens a lot in the religion sections, where someone is asking about something they've heard or read, don't know what it means, but aren't sure if it's something that's "polite" to talk about in the first place to ask what it is.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:59 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I don't mean to be rude, but this question is silly! Nah, I'm kidding with you .......I guess just some people are that way.....but yeah it is annoying
    justalady774

Answer by justalady774 at 12:59 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Yes I notice it. Doesn't bother me because once I read it and depending on how rude the person is I just skip the question.
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 1:00 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Thanks NP, but I am talking about when it is used right before bashing someone. Not when someone really doesn't mean to be rude.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:02 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• In a post not that long ago I actually remember seeing someone post "no offense but your dumb for not leaving your hub".  Yes, I'm sure whoever posted that question was sure to remember not to take offense to that. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:05 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I agree OP, if they say something rude or offensive afterward. I've been guilty of saying no offense, but it's because I'm trying to be polite and I really don't want to hurt someones feelings.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:14 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• It is all in perception.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:25 AM on Mar. 23, 2011