Can I move my child out of state?

I would be moving for a better job. I would still be able to uphold his father's every other weekend visitation as the job is only 2 hours away, although his father rarely decides to pick him up on his weekends anyway.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• There wasn't a mile limitation when you went to court? 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:07 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• No. The only thing concerning change of address in our papers was to give 30 days notice for the other party. He can reject the move, so I guess we'd have to go back to court?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:10 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Mrs Houston beat me to the punch...what she asked.
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 1:10 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I think you would have to go back to court if he opposes.  Maybe he won't even read the paperwork though, lol.  I'm not actually for sure so I gave ya a bump to find out what others say.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:11 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Thanks. He told me he was definitely going to oppose the move. Freaking ridiculous considering it's been 3 months since he's even picked up his son...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:13 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Well yeah you'd have to give notice and you guys would go back to court if he denied it. But it sounds like it would benefit you guys. Plus just to help you, you might want to start texting him on the visitations that he doesn't show up.
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 1:16 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• That is ridiculous!  I would make the plan out in detail.  Where your going to live, why you are moving, etc.  And hopefully in court you'll win.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:19 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Thanks! I will work on that.
    So if I'm offered the job, do I just take it and go and worry about court later? I mean I can't exactly tell them well I don't know if I can accept your offer or not... but then if I do that and he wins, and I'm forced to come back, I won't have a job here... ugh, I just don't know how to go about this...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:26 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• So u go to court. Big deal!!! The fact that he has not seen his son in three months will play in your favor. I'm sure u will win!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• If the move is less than 100 miles, then you DON'T need his permission. However, if it is more than 100 miles, you need either his or the Court's permission. Start documenting when he takes his visitation, and when he doesn't. However, be prepared that the Court may make you do (or pay for) most, if not all, of the travel, since you are the one moving.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 2:51 AM on Mar. 23, 2011