How do you buy wine?

We got a bottle of wine as a gift for Christmas and it was our first bottle of wine ever. It was pretty good and I'd like to drink more wine, now that we finally drank that. But I'm intimidated. There's always such a huge selection at the liquor store!

So how exactly do you pick the right one?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 1:19 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I would start out with the sweet wines and build you're way up. Lambrusco is a sweet red, a little on the cheap side. moscato is a sweet white that most people love. If you go into an actual liquor store they usually have little tabs telling you that that particular wine is a "dry red with a robust flavor". also look at the wine you had that you liked. was it a merlot? a chablis? then kind of go from there.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:25 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• You go to a wine tasting to figure out what you like. There you can taste several different wines without buying a full bottle. It is advisable to spit the wine out, or you will LOVE all of them after the second or third taste :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:21 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I would go wine tasting if you are not sure. this way you find what you like

MominCa

Answer by MominCa at 2:01 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• You can definitely try wine tasting , but check your local paper too. In the Metro section there are local things....it will show you listings of wine tastings or events. Ours here even has a reveiw of each popular wine. If you go to a wine store then you can speak to the salesperson on the floor. Usually they will ask you a couple questions and direct you to something good !
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:36 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Wine Tasting,Pretty labels,and I also ask the people at the wine shop they can point you in the right direction to what you are having it with and also what your palette like. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:27 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I agree wine tasting would be good for you.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• The rare times I buy wine I go to a a specialty wine shop they allow you to taste it before you buy it. In fact the past few times I was there they had a few different wines sitting on the counter to sample. The staff is friendly and very knowledgeable about wines.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• LOL DH refuses to try something new, so we basically stick to one brand (which was introduced to us by my aunts a long time ago...well, introduced to me, and then I told DH about them and now we love it). I intend to ask around about favorite brands and then buy a couple of them at a time and try them. I just suggest that you try new things randomly and see what you like and don't like.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:53 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Wine tasting at different local events that might go on in your community,check your local paper to see what might be going on near you.
    mlgrob57

Answer by mlgrob57 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Do a wine tasting
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:37 AM on Apr. 11, 2011