My friend Breastfeeds and she smokes I am worried that this can harm the baby she asures me that her doctor told her the nicotine wont be in her brestmilk as long as she smokes at least 2 hours prior to feeding is this true?what should I do to help her see this can't be good for her baby?

her baby is only 1 month old

proudmomie97

Asked by proudmomie97 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Smoking when you have a baby increases teh risk of SIDS and other problems...some resources
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/smoking.html
    http://parenting.ivillage.com/newborn/nbreastfeed/0,,40s2,00.html
    http://baby.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Smoking_and_Breastfeeding
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/smoking.html
    http://www.stop-smoking-tips.com/smoking-breastfeeding.html
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 11:46 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Alright so what I've heard from the doctor about my friend who was smoking is that Smoking does affect breastfeeding. It lowers your breast milk, women smoking weened thier children sooner, and if you smoke before feeding the baby it'll affect the air they are breathing causing respiratory problems. If she is going to continue smoking while breast feeding then she needs to smoke following a feeding, rather than right before a feeding. Also, infants of women who smoke have a higher incidence of colic. Nicotine is present in the breast milk of smoking women as well as the air the infant breaths. The amount of nicotine received by the baby depends on the number of cigarettes smoked, the amount of time between cigarettes and when the cigarette smoking occurs in relationship to a feeding. I got most my information from googling it. I couldn't get my friend to quit, but she did cut down ALOT and only smoked a couple cigarettes a day after reading up everything.
    Mrs.Wills

Answer by Mrs.Wills at 11:55 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I don't know that it will pass through the breast milk but nicotine remains in a person's system for 72 hours on average. So if it does then it is still in her system for 3 days after the ciggarette. I would hope that she is not smoking in the house with her infant. That can be very damaging and cause respiratory problems later in life. Good luck to her.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 12:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• The BEST thing to do would be for her to quit smoking. If she is not going to quit though it is VERY important that she does continue nursing. Obviously she shouldn't smoke at the same time she nurses, and should wash her hands afterwards. If a mother is going to smoke it is much healthier that the child gets her milk than that the child is formula-fed. The human milk will help fight the problems from the smoking.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• While quitting would be the best thing for her and her baby, smoking and breastfeeding is much better for the baby than smoking and formula feeding. Being exposed to smoking increases SIDS risk and illness, and the breast milk will provide the baby with antibodies and some protection against SIDS.
    iamhis0

Answer by iamhis0 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• The problem with this, other than the smoking, is that she is doing one of two things that aren't good for the baby. Either she is waiting too long between feedings Or she's really not waiting to feed the baby after each cigarette.

There isn't much you can do to let her know that smoking isn't good for her or the baby. She knows it isn't good, and as a new mom she has a lot of other issues she's probably worrying about. The best you can do is be there for her, and let her know that you hope she can quit so that you can all spend more time together.

If quitting smoking isn't an option for her, let her know that breastfeeding is STILL healthier (even with smoke) than formula. I'd much rather see a smoking bfing mom than a formula feeding mom. Of course...I'd much rather see a NON-smoking mom all the way around.
    wearingyourbaby

Answer by wearingyourbaby at 11:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• well thank you wearingyourbaby for saying that I and so many others are bad mothers for not breastfeeding our babies...I love being judged especially for something i had NO conrtol over...my dd projectile vommited breast milk and I didn't make enough anyway.
    this is supposed to be about breastfeeding and smoking not let's bash people who formula feed.
    Anonymous

Anonymous

Anonymous

• Here's an article from kellymom:

While it's obviously best that she stop smoking, or at the very least cut down, until she can quit, breastfeeding is still better for the baby, even if she smokes.
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 12:26 AM on Jun. 22, 2008