Too young for MySpace?

My 9 and 11 yo sons want MySpace. I let them have e-mail a few months ago, which I sporadically montor, and they use it very innocently. But MySpace makes me nervous. What do you think? I know a lot of their friends have it, but still.....

drowninginboys

Asked by drowninginboys at 3:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• well first off when you sign up the lowest age that you can put in is 13 so right there should be a bit of a guidline for ANY parent. Second if you are going to let your child have one do as one of my friends have done and 1) create the username, and password yourself WITHOUT THEM IN THE ROOM!!! 2) Never Never Share the password with the child and 3) Check their Inbox, Outbox, profile page and personal view page everytime they log in, slash that, Everytime YOU log them in...Also do their settings so certain people cannot contact them and so on. And change the password periodically just in case they wise up to the one you have been using. It may sound like a lot but in the end it is worth it
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 6:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• your 9 year old is way too young for myspace. but i would let the 11 year old have one, but i would watch it like you do the email. my friends son, he's 12 and has one, but she montor his also.
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• My brother (12) has a myspace account. My mother monitors it. I personally wouldn't let my son or daughter have one until they're 13 or 14. But I think a lot of it has to do with the kid. If he's responsible and isn't the type to get into trouble online then it might be OK.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 3:37 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I say no. My 10 y/o wants one and I'm not letting her get one. They are too young for that IMO. Try clubpenguin.com...my daughter likes that they have games and chats for kids. You can select a monitored chat that allows them to chat with only preselected answers.
    Cecilia77

Answer by Cecilia77 at 4:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I have an 11yo stepson and I will NOT let him get a myspace page! He's way too young...those sits are really geared toward teens and older. When he is old enough 14 or so, he can have it but I'd monitor it everyday and set up parental controls. There are too many creeps and weirdos out there!
    Anonymous

• YES, they are too young! They aren't mature enough to deal with the wackos out there that will pick on them. There are a group of wackos on every social site.
    bassoonist22

Answer by bassoonist22 at 1:31 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I personally can see no value in 'myspace'. (for anyone at any age)My belief is that childhood is for forming friendships in the 'real' world not on line. My daughter will not be allowed a 'myspace' account.
    carolde864

Answer by carolde864 at 7:33 AM on Jul. 10, 2008