Question for Photographers

My best friend and I are wanting to go into photography together. Start out charging a little, then once we have enought saved u to upgrade our cameras, then raise the price. We hope to eventually own our own studio together, if we do well.
I just have a few questions:
How much did you charge starting out? How much now?
What kind of camera did you start out with? What kind now?
What kind of camera would you suggest for us starting out? (We won't be sharing one)
Any tips, pointers, or other advice for us?
Thanks a bunch!

Jessica1991

Asked by Jessica1991 at 1:41 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

• I started with a Nikon D5000. I'm still using it (only started in November). I started out with 5 free sessions (first 5 people to contact me) to build my portfolio a little bit. Then I did one month at $30, and now charge $50 (an hour). I also provide a free CD with all of the original photos with my choice of enhanced photos. I also offer prints.

One thing I will tell you is to make sure you have a contract for your clients that specifically spells out the cost, the service, that neither party is liable for any injuries, that you will retain the copyright, etc.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 2:49 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Do you have your business license? Or do you just do it 'under the table cash', tax free, and all that?
    Jessica1991

Comment by Jessica1991 (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2011