What are some misconceptions society has about young moms?

Hello everyone. I am writing a paper about being a young mom and I am required to get some information from other young moms. Any input would help me so much and I will very much appreciate it!
What are some misconceptions society has about young parents?
How do you feel the media portrays young parents?
How did your plans for you life change after having your first child?
What is one positive thing you can say about being a young parent?
What are some challenges you have faced with being a young parent?
Thank you so much for taking the time to read and answer any questions because your input will definitely help me build my paper!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• What are some misconceptions society has about young parents?/How do you feel the media portrays young parents?  That young parents can not be good parents, that the young parents want nothing more than to go out and party, that the young parents will pawn their kids off on the grandparents

How did your plans for you life change after having your first child?  My life's focus became about my daughter and not about myself.  I became a SAHM instead of following the plan I had for my life because it was in the best interest of my child.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:44 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• What is one positive thing you can say about being a young parent?  I have been able to have an active role in my children's lives because I was younger .  I'm not an "on the bench" mom, I'm an "in the game" mom.

What are some challenges you have faced with being a young parent? I married much younger than I intended and as a result I had more responsibilites at age 16 than a lot of women do well into to their 20s or 30s.  Challenges can either make you strong or break you, it's all in how you handle them.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:49 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I don't like stereotypes and especially just lumping all mom's of teens in the same category. I had my first at 15 and although it was a life changer it's funny how well I adapted to it. My priorities changed and I had to focus on raising my daughter. I wouldn't recommend it for any teenager but for me and some other teen moms I've known, it's possible for teens to become wonderful parents.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 7:42 AM on Mar. 23, 2011