Mirena IUD- Give me your stories ladies :)

So I went to the OBGYN today to talk about getting my tubes tied (Im allergic to pregnancy). She said that, even though I qualify, she wouldnt do it because Im so young.. But she said the closest thing to full protection that I can get (that is still reversable) is an IUD.

She convinced me to get it done right then and there. I have read a bit of IUD's before getting one. But I honestly wasnt expecting to get one, esp not TODAY. So, what have I gotten myself into?

* Possibilitys of pregnancy?

*Embedding into my uturus?

* Puncturing my uturus?

Give me all the info you have, first hand experince please, not the scary story you heard from a friend, from a friend etc lol
(how long have you had yours in?)
Thanks moms!! :)

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 2:04 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Health

• I'll give you my personal story. It's scary but everyone is different.
    I got mine in December 09. I bled like crazy the whole time, could barely stand I was in so much pain and I felt pregnant constantly. I lost massive amounts of hair at that. I kept asking the doctor what was wrong, they said it was fine, I just needed to adjust. By March '10, I was fed up. Called the doctor to get it taken out. I had an ultrasound that day and they found my mirena embedded in my uterus, poking a hole out. I was in surgery the next day. I ended up getting pregnant a few months later and miscarried. They believe the miscarriage was because of the damage mirena caused.

I'm not the first to recommend it at all.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 1:08 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• My hasn't gave me any problems I have some stomach pain but thats still up if its from something different or if its the iud I think its a good thing to have
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 2:08 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I love mine! My only complaint is that I occasionally have some spotting after sex. Otherwise, it's great! It's actually the most effective form of birth control, after abstinence. It's the most commonly used birth control among health care providers (for themselves). The risks of uterine perforation or expulsion are pretty low. The nice thing is that you don't have to worry about it for 5 years (they're possibly extending that to 10), and you don't have to do anything except check the strings. I have no real complaints. I hope you like it! :)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:18 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Yeah my OBG said she has Mirena (which made me feel more comfortable) ..um with this, do I need another form of birth control? My husband and I are 'trying' to be more spontanious. But if we don't have condoms it usually doesnt work out.
    stenhouse_baby

Comment by stenhouse_baby (original poster) at 2:20 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• No you don't need a 2nd form of birth control the iud stops the sperm Haha you will be fine
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 2:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• This is one of my journals about it. It's WAY too much to type here.

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:39 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• If u smoke, u need to quit if u get the Mirena or really any other birth control. There is a reason why BC and nicotine shouldn't be used together. My SIL almost, well she actaully did die clinically anyway, but she smoked while she was on Mirena. She was on it fpor a little over year. I had a doc appt and I needed to have someone drive me back because of the test they were going to do. She was standing beside me when all of a sudden she fell, no warning at all. I still thank whoever was responsible for her living thru that. If she wasn't already at the doc's office, she would have died. They found a clot and it went up thru the lungs, and found another that was trying to form in her legs. Especially be careful if u have risk factors or family history of high blood pressure heart disease, high cholesterol. I did find out later she had warning before this happened, she didn't know what is was.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:52 AM on Mar. 23, 2011