How to make friends with your neighbors ?

Just moved to a new great neighbor hood and I see a lot of couples around us that look to be the same age as us with kids also. Im very friendly and out going but they seem to be a little stand offish . So any tips?

bubbaelea22

Asked by bubbaelea22 at 2:19 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• How warm is it?  Maybe put invitations in mailboxes for an annual BBQ?

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:21 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• We live in east tx so it is already 85 here . Great ideal!
    bubbaelea22

Comment by bubbaelea22 (original poster) at 2:25 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Try taking walks at night and saying hello. In order to make friends you have to seem friendly. Maybe they are just nervous about meeting new people and you should make the first move. The BBQ thing is a great idea.
    CPRsarah

Answer by CPRsarah at 3:16 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• block parties are a great way to get the whole neighborhood intros. music games food, who would want to be in on that?! times are different, no one brings over pies and jello moulds though i wish they still did lol. GL
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 4:14 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Stroll with the children around the neighborhood, wave and smile as you see people. If someone else is strolling, it's a great way to strike up a conversation, or if someone is in their yard, you can introduce yourselves.

Answer by Bmat at 4:39 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• We had a neighborhood BBQ a couple years ago. One of the neighbors invitited everyone to come. At first not many showed up but after a while even some of the unsociables at least stopped by to say hi. It was a great way to get to know eachother and now we are all good friends. Everyone looks out for each others kids and most of us now visit frequently. It was the best thing that ever happened. I really love living here now because of it.
    MoneyGirl-Mom

Answer by MoneyGirl-Mom at 5:42 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I have 2 new neighbors and they are both single moms. They are a lot younger than me and I tried to say hi to one of them, but it seems they are better then us, lmao. So, I'm sorry, I don't have any advice for you, at my age, I just decided I wasn't going to make the extra effort. If they want to be neighbourly, they'll have to approach me, lol
    joanie70

Answer by joanie70 at 7:02 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Well, I can tell you how not to be friends with them. Our neighbors let thier kids roam freely in our yard, practice their band instruments before dawn - outside - and I've caught their 5 year old peeking in our front door window several times. The rest of the neighborhood is fine, but our next door neighbors drive me insane. If you want to get to know everyone, I think the BBQ is a great idea. (c: Good luck.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:47 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Just say hello and smile EVERY time you see them. If they hesitate for a second ask them how they are or comment on something else (the weather?). But don't let up being friendly and approachable. At least one of them will soften eventually and then word will get round you're actually OK :)
    quietmo

Answer by quietmo at 8:52 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• if you see them outside walk up to them and introduce yourself maybe a block party or BBQ as the others suggested
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:14 AM on Mar. 23, 2011