ICE ,ICE, BABY!!!!

We are supposed to be getting upo to 2 in of ICE!! WTH??? I am praying to whoever I have to pray to keep our power on, don't let the tree our neighbor had never taken down like he was supposed too cause its on his side of land, and now he died! This tree over hangs our roof and I swear this tree is older then god himself and its sooo big. If it decides to keel over in defeat after having 2 inches or more of ice, will total our house, and the part of the house it will hit is were we sleep!! Now I have no idea who I can call to get the tree removed or at least trimmed!! The City can't do it, cause like me, do not know to get of hold of to get permission. Any thoughts?? Anybody go thru this type of thing?"

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:16 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I would call a tree trimmer and get it done myself. Let them know you have permission from the property owner. We had a huge ice storm a few years ago and the city hired a tree trimming service after the fact to try and prevent the power outages we had (our block went more than two weeks without power - it was bad). At that time we were renting and the tree service guy came out to cut down a huge old tree in our yard. I told him he would have to talk with the homeowner, but he said he already had permission (as in the city okayed it) he was just letting us know what they were doing. You aren't looking to take out their entire tree, just the part the could be endangering your home.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:22 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Find out who owns the home now. I think whoever owns the house is responsible for any damage it causes because the owner did not trim it or remove the danger it presents. Call a licensed tree service, get it in writing about the unsafeness of this tree and their written recontamination that it needs to come down or be trimmed. ALSO??? In LOTS of states, if the overhanging branches are on YOUR side of the property line you have EVERY legal right to trim the limbs on YOUR side of the property.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:17 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• This is true here but I'm not sure about where you live. You should be able to call an attorney though to get the answer for sure.
    But here if a neighbor has a tree or bushes or anything that grows over the property line, we can trim anything that is on our side of the line.
    Noni2319

Answer by Noni2319 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Thank u all! I wasn't sure if the city could do that or not, they haven't returned my call yet. As for the next door neighbor, since he died, I haven't evern seen anyone. Maybe thr house is in probate or something. Thank u again.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2011