How can I make pooping in the potty fun for my son?

My four year old son has issues with pooping in the potty. He has had painful experiences before because he does like to food with fiber. Given him foods, benefiber and even stool softener to make it easier for him. He holds it in until he can't and ends up crying on the potty where he bleeds a little. Need advice fast. I can't watch my son fear pooping or cry in pain. Please help me.

nixieknox18

Asked by nixieknox18 at 10:51 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Aww. thats sad. I cant really help. But my daughter was the same way. when we were potty training her she would not poo in the potty! She just eventually started doing it on her own....
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 10:58 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Been there! Give him a half dose of Miralax everyday until he overcomes his fear. It's not a drug, it won't make him go. But no matter how long he holds it, his poop won't get big or hard. Why? It acts like a big sponge. It traps water in his poop and that forces his poop to stay soft.

Once he is happily going, you can try to taper him off of it. You'll know pretty quick if he has any problems and you can go back to giving him the MIralax. My doctor told me it may take several years. I started when my daughter was about 20 months and have no idea how long we'll be using it. She's 28 months now and I'm potty training so it won't be anytime soon!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My son is 4 1/2 and is having trouble with pooing in the potty. He has really bad constipation problems He was really early and had some issues. I had to use fleet enemas and suppositories just to get him to go.

Now that he is a little older, I too have used Mira-lax with permission from his doctor. I also give him apple juice with baby food prunes in it when we are not at home. It helps keep him soft, so he doesn't bleed

If it continues to become an issue I would consult his doctor

mircopreemiemom

Answer by mircopreemiemom at 3:36 AM on Nov. 26, 2008