Custody battle?

My son is 15 months old, and as for his father he's kinda in the picture I guess...I have talked to him about spending more time with our son, not canceling out on him when it's his weekend to have him...that our son doesn't really know who he is! I straight up told him that if things didn't get better then I would go for full custody! I don't want to but I want him to be a parent and support his child! Hayden isn't just mine...it takes two people to raise and take care of a child! I just want Hayden to know who his parents are! How should I prepare for a custody battle? I've never gone through this before and I don't want to do this but his father is always having all the chicks at his house and sleeping with him and it confuses his son! It's not good for him! It's like he takes our son when it's convinant for him and that's not right!

starcrystal_09

Asked by starcrystal_09 at 3:43 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• You can't MAKE him be a better parent, even though it's what your son needs.

We've dealt with custody crap for a few years. I don't feel comfortable posting it all here (not sure if my DH's ex is on here and don't want her to know what we've been doing), but I'd be happy to help if you want to PM questions to me :)
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 5:44 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Well I know that none of his family is on here so I know I don't have to worry about it and his family is pretty much on my side about how I feel...and I know I can't make him be a better parent...he has to do that on his own but I have talked to him about what I have been thinking and it doesn't seem to bother him at all
    starcrystal_09

Comment by starcrystal_09 (original poster) at 6:15 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• You cant make him take visits, and neither can the court. You can document everything you can but as long as he is showing up for visits then odds are a judge will continue to allow visits to happen when your ex wants them unless he is physically harming his child. What you can do is ask the judge to not allow any overnight guests with the opposite sex unless related by blood or marriage. Just be aware it cuts both ways so you wont be allowed to do it either. You can also ask for no over night visits until your son is 3 and most judges will also allow that,.

Answer by gemgem at 7:59 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• You can't be prepared for this kind of thing. My husband has been going through it now for 8 years. A lot of tears, stress, fighting, lies, money....good luck though
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 8:34 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Then I doubt you will be in for a fight, furthermore, if you are not together there should already be an order for child support in place. Get movin momma.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:53 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• yeah we havn't been together for a while, and child support has just started this month....and yeah your probably right I won't have much of a fight considering he didn't seem to care anyways!
    starcrystal_09

Comment by starcrystal_09 (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2011