Back Labor?

4:30 AM is not a good time for me to go into labor, my husband's at work until 8am....but I just woke up, and I keep having these sharp pains in my left side, right above my hip-bone. They are intense for short periods of time, and then dull a little but seem to linger.

I have had contractions right along, but am not having them right now. I'm 35 weeks.

There's no bloody show or mucous or anything. Baby's moving.

I don't know anything about back labor..could this be it?

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 4:36 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• yes this is very common.I went into labor with my 3rd daughter just like that.In fact in each pregnance you have its different,none are alike.Im a mom of 5.So yes I do understand.But you could also be having false labor pains,which is common too at 35 weeks.I had my youngest child earlier than expected but she was fine.My advice is to go ahead and get your husband up and fill him in on what is going on.Keep a close eye on the time and check to see if the pains get any closer together.If they do then its time to call your doctor.He/she can assist you from there.
    evehall67

Answer by evehall67 at 5:30 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I had periodic sharp pains and then dull achiness in my sides and back for 2 days, thinking I was just uncomfortable. Even the Dr. didn't recognize it as contractions until my water broke. I was also 35 weeks. I'm sure you have a better idea by now of whether or not you're in labor. GL
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:00 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Could be, I'm sure know for sure by now though :)
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 10:16 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Could be... do you have a baby yet?!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 12:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• This sounds like Braxton Hicks to me. How long do they last? How frequent are they?
    lilahsmommie

Answer by lilahsmommie at 12:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I wanted to add, back labor is called that for a reason. The pain will be mostly in your lower back, and may or may not wrap around to the front. The pain is intense.
    lilahsmommie

Answer by lilahsmommie at 12:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Well, either it was false labor, or just a back ache. It was very intense for the hour or so that it lasted, but it finally faded, and I was able to get back to sleep. Today there is an occasional dull ache in that same spot, so I'm wondering if something's just pinched. While I had the ache last night, I was having abdominal contractions every 3-4 minutes for a while, but those too faded.

My biggest problem is I had a c-section with my first, and the local hospital doesn't do vbacs, so they want me to go in right away if I go into labor. But I don't drive, and have no way to get to the hospital at 4am, because my husband works nights, usually until 6 or 8 am. I also have a 3yo DS which complicates getting to the hospital at that hour. I figured if I hadn't been able to get back to sleep, I probably would've called the hosp...but if I could sleep, it probably wasn't labor.
    BisketLiss

Comment by BisketLiss (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Not sure, but good luck!
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 5:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I was in labor for 12 hours with my son and it was all back labor. All of the contractions and most of the pain I felt was in my lower back. It sounds to me like Braxton Hicks contractions. Also, most of the time when you're in labor, your baby won't be too active.
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 4:58 AM on Mar. 24, 2011