To leave or not to leave...what would you do?

We are in Japan right now. Yokosuka specifically, about 200 miles south of the nuclear plant. As of now we do have radioactive contamination in our air but we are told it is not enough to harm us at this point. But right now they are doing a voluntary government assisted departure. Just a few hours ago an article came out saying Tokyo's water supply is contaminated to the point that infants are not to drink it. But our water is still ok. I am not so much worried about me or my son with the way things are now, but I am worried about what if something happens and the future of my sons health. So I can either leave now, have it paid for and return WHEN it is SAFE, again paid for. There are so many people here that have already taken advantage of this. But I am sitting here debating because I hate thinking that next week things could be fine and we left and have no idea how long it will take to return. I also hate that people are making me feel guilty for having the gov. pay for it. We are a military family, my husband has been in for nearly 7 years. Since this ordeal started he has not had a day off, he works 12 hour shifts everyday. Would you go or stay? People keep saying those of us leaving are just taking a paid holidary back to the states. I don't feel like this is a holiday! I am afriad for my son, we will be away from my husband, we will be worried about his safety. I don't look at this like a vacation at all! I wish I could stay but I feel, as a mother of a small child, I have to look out for his best interest. So....

Would you stay or go?

I guess I will put it here since it is a current event.

ILoveCade

Asked by ILoveCade at 5:07 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• We are in Okinawa, and from what we've heard on the news, the levels aren't bad enough to cause damage where the military personnel are located.

If you do leave, don't feel bad that you are doing it. You will do what you feel is right for your family. It's not a paid holiday (though I feel when we are overseas they SHOULD pay for one, since it's roughly $1500-2000 per roundtrip, so for a family of 5, like ours, it'd be roughly $10000--kind of keeps us STUCK here. lol).
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 5:47 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I know, they keep saying we are safe, and I really believe it now, I just worry what will happen IF there is a meltdown. They were saying last week the "plumes" could be here within 5 hours. And now the Tokyo water system has elevated levels infants can't drink, I know we are on a different water supply but you would think Tokyo is different then Fukushima right? It is just all the what ifs...you know, if they want to fly me to Okinawa for a couple weeks, if that is cheaper, do that! I don't need to go back to the states! I just want to know I did what I could for me son! Plus, they handed out the KI pills and I can't take those because I am allergic to shell fish, so I am screwed if we do get a lot of radiation and are told to take the pills :P
    ILoveCade

Comment by ILoveCade (original poster) at 5:53 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• If you are worried, I'd take the flight home... Worst comes to worst, at least you can visit some family, right?
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 6:07 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• IF the offer is there for your tickets to be paid for I would leave. Unless you have your own monitoring system for radiation I wouldn't mess around with that stuff...
    roxy85

Answer by roxy85 at 6:11 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Follow ur heart for ur child safety...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 6:27 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• We are in Misawa, and we're staying. I don't believe we are at any risk from the reactors, and I truly believe that there is a lot I can do (and have been doing) to help up here with the recovery in the area. Also, I believe that if it gets to the point that we do need to go, then there will be mandatory evacuations (we've btdt before...). I also have other reasons for staying that I don't have room to get into here :-)

BUT - I also believe that each of us have to do what is best for our own families. I don't think there's a wrong choice in this, just wrong reasons (either way).

But trust me, I absolutely feel your pain right now :-( (My kids were with the Misawa sports teams that were down in the Tokyo area when all this hit...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:06 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Oh, and let me add, honestly, there ARE some people up here that are using it as a paid holiday, or as an excuse "because they hated Japan anyway", etc - I've heard it from them directly. BUT that does NOT mean that EVERYONE who is leaving is doing it for that reason. Just like not all of us who are staying "just don't care about our kids" the way some people are saying.

Like I said, we all have to do what's right for our families. If it's people who know you and are in Japan who are saying that, then they of all people should get how hard all of this has been and should shut up, and if they aren't here with us, then honestly, they have NO idea, and again, have no room to talk or "armchair quarterback" our choices!

You and your dh need to talk about it, pray about it (if you believe in prayer), and do what your hearts are led to do, and not worry about anyone else's opinion!

good luck, and hang in there, either way!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:11 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I say leave ! Who cares what everyone else is saying !?! There are soo many health risks that I wouldnt trust the "minor" threat warnings for infants. If Infants cant drink it then...you shouldnt either. Please leave. No one can give you 100% garuntee that the effects will not hurt you or your family in the long run. *hugs*
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:23 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I would leave. My biggest fears since being pregnant with my first child when 9/11 happened is being able to protect my children while they are still defenseless. If you have your doubts, if you have ANY concerns whatsoever, you have to do what YOU feel is right for you and your family!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:36 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Id personally never risk my kids health. There is too much you dont know about what can happen if you stay in the future to your kids and your own health. I would leave.

Answer by gemgem at 8:09 AM on Mar. 23, 2011