Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child support

I'm just curious. How many of you are owed chid support? How far do you let it go? Do you plan on doing anything about it?


Asked by joanie70 at 6:00 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Level 13 (1,081 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (17)
  • The truth comes out. Plenty of excuses as to why parents owe so much in back pay & why the other parent doesn't enforce it.

    Generally, judges do not let one parent relinquish their rights unless a step-parent is coming forth to adopt the child. Why? Mostly financial reasons. They have to ensure that the child will be taken care of, because often times one single parent income does not do the trick. I used to work at an attorneys office. I am very familiar with the process

    Blatantly speaking, I can't fathom letting my child "do without" because a man isn't worth my time. 300 or even 600 a month adds up really quickly. If anything, that money could have went to a nice college fund or nest egg when they turned 18. I don't understand NOT getting what's rightfully yours.

    500 a month x 12 x 10 = That is 48,000 for ten years of child support. That is an excellent amount to do some college with & stash some away.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • I agree with you, $6000 is a lot of money. You are not the one who is stupid, it's the women who don't go after the men to pay what they owe that are. If my husband and I ever divorced you can bet the first thing I would do would be to set up child support.

    Answer by scout_mom at 7:05 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • There are too many systems in place now to avoid having back child support owed. My mom never got a penny out of my father for 16 years of my life. At that time you couldn't have someone's driver's license or professional licenses taken, there wasn't jail time, and there weren't entire divisions devoted just to getting child support paid. I'm about to go through a divorce and I don't plan on letting him get behind AT ALL. He's in the military and if he's stupid enough to go ahead with his plans to become a bum so he doesn't have to pay child support he will have that hanging over his head forever...

    Answer by roxy85 at 6:13 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • my ex owes 9k in backpay. i filed for child support when she was about 8 months (june or july of 07), and i didn't start receiving until november 2008. all that time he kept moving, changing his address, switching jobs, making the process take longer. but the joke was on him because he accrued 9k in backpay. they add on an additional $40/month to his regular CS pay to payoff the backpay. it is court ordered so there's no way for him to weasle out of it. he got married and with another child last year and they did not reduce the pay. he still jumps from job to job, but they always find him :)

    Answer by tnm786 at 7:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • contact your local child support enforcement office. he will be ordered to get a job and make the payments.

    Answer by tnm786 at 7:35 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • I am not owed anything anymore. I never let it go either. I have always gone through the courts and child supp enforcement and made sure my ex was held accountable for what he owed.

    Answer by gemgem at 7:47 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • you would not be putting him in jail the judge would be. my husband owed back support because he had lost his job. he got anther one and was paying the back and current. he had started truck driving under my authority which meant i ended up being the owner but we were leased to anther company( the other company screwed us over in the end). but hubby was out of state trying to make money for our company and the cs. the judge got mad because he would NOT break federal laws and hop and skip back to town from New York which would of put his life and others in danger. so she had him arrested 2 weekends later and we lost the business , etc because of the revenue we lost. He does not want to owe back support. the prosecutors went and got him out telling the Judge she was in the wrong. Now hubby brother is owed quite a few thousand dollars and is trying to persue that. You are owed money for your child contact cs enforcement.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • the reason I asked is because whenever I bring it up, people make me feel stupid because they are owed so much more then me and they never pursue it and don't plan on it. Mine owes me a little over 6,000 and to me it's a lot of money! and then my grandma made me promise not to put him in jail

    Comment by joanie70 (original poster) at 6:33 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • There are ways to get around child support, but if they care about having any respectable job during their life time, there is a way to enforce child support.

    My ex owed me about 1,200 back pay. The month after our divorce was finalized I was getting two payments. One from my ex still, and then one from CSEA. I let it happen for 2 months so I could 1. Get the money from CSEA for my monthly payment and 2. So my ex could pay off what he owed me. The idiot had no idea he was paying child support twice, so that is really an error on his side. I got my money, and moved on. There was nothing he could say about it once I told him what was going on. He owed the money, he paid the money.

    His CoC wouldn't enforce him to pay though. That is how he got behind. I had to take it to IG/AG and show them temporary support papers. To avoid trial, he agreed to pay what back pay he owed. =)

    I didn't let it go until it was paid off.

    Answer by Razelda at 7:04 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • My daughter's father is illegal and I went after him for child support. He is 5,000 dollars behind on payments because everytime I find out where he is and they send him papers, he leaves and moves somewhere else. I don't know how they don't have a warrant for his arrest out there somewhere. It's hard for me to keep track of where he is. I've done everything I can to try and get him to pay. He's only paid 2 payments total I think from his job 2 years ago and then he left that job. He wants me to drop the child support order so he can pay me cash, and if he can't even pay 175 a month to child support, how am I supposed to trust him to pay me cash? Uh uh, no way Jose!

    Answer by proudmom2510 at 7:31 AM on Mar. 23, 2011