Spin off about the Pope. (Not the Original OP)

Every one said that he is living a vow of poverty because all of the nice things belong to the church and not to him or they were given to him. So if I was making no money but was given a huge house to live in for a while, borrowed all name brand clothes and had donated to me the best of the best, with the knowledge that is was not 'mine', would I be considered poor or living fruagally?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ummm.... No you wouldn't. Even if the Pope does not own that stuff HOW is having 24 karat gold faucets and 800 red shoes and servants to do everything for him, living a vow of poverty? The definition of Frugal is economical in use or expenditure; prudently saving or sparing; not wasteful: And the Pope IS Wasteful in my opinion. The definition of Poverty is the lack of basic human needs, such as clean and fresh water, nutrition, health care, education, clothing and shelter. And the pope has ALL of those things and More.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:12 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I haven't seen the original post so I will assume you are correct in saying that everyone on that post said the Pope took a vow of poverty. Some orders of priests do but not all take a vow of poverty, the vow of poverty doesn't necessarily refer to money, it can also refer to being humble and using what you have for the good of others rather than yourself.

The pope lives in the papal apartments ( a total of 10 rooms) in Vatican City. They were redone after JPII died since they were in disrepair and leaking. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_Apartments 

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 2:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• The Pope is not paid to be Pope, a job that requires a lot of work. I wonder what it is you think he should be doing? Should he be naked and living in a cardboard box? How do you know that he doesn't live frugally? Here's some info on where he gets his 'stuff': http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB114591920439834611-OtBN7F_qbGxt2YstGeEXX1WoMzQ_20060524.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 2:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• lol I would say your living a dream that some of us, although we bust our butts everyday at work, would love to live.....I don't believe that he lives poor or frugally.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 8:11 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• LOL, well sad to say but there are a lot of people doing just that right now....the government hands them everything they need!

I'm a practicing Christian, but am NOT a Catholic. However, with that said, the Pope is doing what he believes God has called him to do. He is not working to make a paycheck, or to have the best of the best. When we are faithful to God, we can trust that God will take care of us. One can look at the place he resides in or the clothing he wears as God making sure he's taken care of. I'll leave it at that.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 6:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• sounds like a celebrity
    they all say they never pay for
    a damn thing
    it is all gifted to them
    people see celebrities wearing their stuff
    and they want it because of that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Mar. 23, 2011