Did an obscure amateur scientist discover the spark of life?

Andrew Crosse was born on 17th June 1784 to a wealthy English Family. Fifty three years later in 1837 one of Crosse's experiments resulted in a puzzle which science has yet to explain. It seems that from inanimate matter, Crosse created life...

http://borderlandresearch.com/crosse.html

http://www.cheniere.org/misc/sparkoflife.htm

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:14 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Very interesting. Energy is the catalyst for life, so it makes sense to me. What intrigued me was that the other scientist came to Crosse's defense stating that he had the same results from an experiment but apparently hadn't had confidence that his experiment had been untainted. It would be nice to see another scientist try to duplicate the experiment.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 3:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Im more wondering WHY todays scientists CANT duplicate his experiment.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• If life can be made from nothing...why aren't we seeing new life forms all the time?

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:20 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Interesting and I also wonder why it could not be duplicated- I don't think its a conspiracy- aren't many scientists Atheists- why would they suppress that information- ?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:52 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I watched a NOVA episode recently where they were talking about how they have known the ingredients in the 'recipe of life' for a long time, but they just don't know the recipe. They've discovered some things have to be done in a certain order to create the building blocks of life. They were able to create amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) in a lab in the 1950s by putting methane, ammonia, hydrogen gas, and water vapor into a beaker and introducing an electrical charge. I think they've also been able to synthesize RNA too. I think this is a recent development--within the last few years anyway.

How Did Life Begin?

Life's First Spark Re-created in a Lab

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• IhartU- very possible someone is working on it right now and who knows when the question will be answered- could be soon, could be in the next generation-I think its interesting... where is WikiLeaks when you need them????
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Now isnt that mighty interesting??
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:22 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Did you read the links about his experiments? It's not made from nothing...

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 8:23 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• sounds good to me.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:29 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• vbruno, I wonder the same thing... maybe they HAVE and it's just being suppressed- you know, like a conspiracy?

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 8:39 AM on Mar. 23, 2011